Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loud clanking noise in rear wheel / drum

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Default Loud clanking noise in rear wheel / drum

I have a 98 civic Lx and removed the rear drum to check the brake shoe. I put the drum back on without removing anything else. Now when I go forward, it makes a really loud noise. It sounds like something is really loose. It sounds like someone is banging pots together. I can brake without problems and this happens going forward. Is my drum bad? I want to change out the brake shoes anyways but am afraid something has gone wrong. I rather have this problem solved before moving on. Can someone please tell me why I have this stupid noise?

Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you have any difficulties in taking the drum off or putting it back on?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Are the lug nuts tight? Take the drum off again and look for obvious problems. Then spin the wheel hub by hand without the drum on it, if it is wobbly or makes noise the bearing is bad.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM

The drum was a little tight when I took it off... i took a rubber mallet to beat it loose... was that bad? haha...

Now the drum can be taken off easily and put back on easily...

When I spin the hub without the drum, it does not make a noise. There is a SLIGHT friction when I spin it at a certain point. For example, at 3 o'clock. I spin it, it goes smoothly, and at 3, it has a tiny friction. That's all...

Thanks for the help!!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Are the lug nuts tight? Take the drum off again and look for obvious problems. Then spin the wheel hub by hand without the drum on it, if it is wobbly or makes noise the bearing is bad.
The drum was a little tight when I took it off... i took a rubber mallet to beat it loose... was that bad? haha...

Now the drum can be taken off easily and put back on easily...

When I spin the hub without the drum, it does not make a noise. There is a SLIGHT friction when I spin it at a certain point. For example, at 3 o'clock. I spin it, it goes smoothly, and at 3, it has a tiny friction. That's all...

Thanks for the help!!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Interesting way to bump the thread.

I assume you removed the rear drum from only one side. Put the rear end on jack stands and remove both rear wheels. Compare the noisy side to good side and look for any obvious differences. Turn the drum on both sides. Do you notice any differences in resistance or noise? If so, remove the drums and compare the brake mechanisms. Do you see any differences?

By the way, you can remove the rear drums by screwing an appropriate sized bolt into the hole in the outside of the drum. The drum should just pop off if the parking brake is OFF.