Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loud Engine Noise like an aftermarket exhaust but I don't have one

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Default Loud Engine Noise like an aftermarket exhaust but I don't have one

2008 Honda Civic Coupe, I have had this problem as long as I can remember and the car runs fine but now it is getting annoying because it is too loud. When I start my car it is loud, when I accelerate it is loud. I took it to the mechanic and he advised I replace the engine mounts which is about $500 in parts alone. What does everyone think the problem is? Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

Before you go spending that kind of money, you need to get a better handle on the problem.
There is a post from a guy who has his transmission slipping out of gear,
it is high up on this page. Read that post, it will tell you how to check the engine
mounts. A few years back I lost my muffler, Midas put on a cheap one and it was way
louder. If you have ramps, or jack stands put the car up and check the exhaust system.
Sounds more like an exhaust problem than engine mounts.
Dave

Last edited by me262dave; 10-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

lol at engine mounts. get away from that mechanic. Sounds like you have a hole in an exhaust pipe. Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from exactly? I would get under the car and inspect the exhaust system.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Block the tailpipe with a rag while the engine idles, this will force exhaust to come out of any leaks, usually with a hissing sound. On a good system, pressure will build up quietly. If you don't get any pressure building up at the tailpipe at all, there is a big leak.

Aftermarket intakes make the engine louder than stock also. It sounds kind of like exhaust noise.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

probably a crack in the exhaust maniffold which seems to happen more on hondas with cat converters attached to the maniffold DX VP LX models.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM

So I have been driving with the music off for the last couple of days and the loud noise seems to be coming from the engine. There is vibration in the car and the noise is not coming from the exhaust.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you do any of the tests suggested?

Also check for aftermarket intake / intake parts disconnected or missing / missing air filter.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

what kind off noise are we taking about here anyway ???

Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM

I wish I could describe the noise better. It's like a loud engine noise with vibrations.

I have checked all the suggestions and nothing is wrong with the exhaust, I have no aftermarket parts and the air filter is intact and clean.

So I took this car to another mechanic and he also said it was the engine mounts. I brought it back to my original mechanic since he is my cousin and he usually gives me a good deal. Total cost to replace all four mounts was $600. He ordered original manufacture parts. He showed me the engine mount and it was cracked. The car is much quieter and smooth now.

I am still skeptical why this would cost so much. Did my cousin over charge me? 4 mounts plus labor for $600 sounds like a lot but I have not replaced mounts before so I don't know what to compare that to. What does everyone think? Thanks for all the replies.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
HCF Member

Depends on where ho get them. Dealer probably charges close to $50 a piece for them and $200 for labor, sounds about right. It's not a quick job.

Quick Reply: Loud Engine Noise like an aftermarket exhaust but I don't have one