Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Main Shaft bearing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Main Shaft bearing...

From what I have read here, I THINK I may need to replace the main shaft bearing. When the clutch pedal is out I can hear a noise that kind of sounds like the noise a brake pad makes on a brake rotor when are braking. WHen the pedal is pushed in, the noise goes away. The noise is more pronounced when the engine is cold, it gets a little quieter when warm, but it doesnt completely go away. I don't hear any clicking or clunking noises.

Is this my main shaft bearing? If so, how hard is it to repalce if I am going to be repalcing my clutch soon?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Main Shaft bearing...

have you ever taken apart a tranny before? you familier with the internals and how they work. it does sound like your main shaft bearing in the tranny is going out. You could call around and get a price. Might be cheaper to just get another used tranny without any grinds than the labor will be to replace that bearing

Old 01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

does sound like it may be a good idea to look for a new used trany... before you do that though, be sure the noise is not coming from the throw out bearing... could be a cheap fairly easy fix.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

I've never pulled the tranny on my car, I have rebuilt the motor on my bike though, but that's comparing apples to oranges (bike is wet clutch). The clutch kit I have did come with a new throw-out bearing, so it will be getting replaced when I do the clutch here soon.

Just for $#!t'@ and giggles, where's a good place to looks for a used tranny? (Preferably locally in the Orlando area) I have a d16y7 in there right now, is there a better tranny out there that is a direct fit, maybe something that won't have me at 3k rpms doing 70mph? I do a lot of highway driving.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Something relatively simple to try would be an adjustment of the clutch pedal. It possibly could eliminate or reduce the noise. Also check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

Well I found a d16y8 tranny here locally, and I have a couple questions.

I know this is a direct swap with my stock y7 tranny right? Are the parts the same to? flywheel, pressure plate, disc, throw out bearing? All the same right? What about the input shaft bearing?

And how do I know that the tranny I am getting doesn't have the same problem that I have now? Do I just "trust" the person that's selling it to me?

I think I'm just going to buy it, and have a friend that's worked on honda trannys help me replce the ISB and make sure that it's ready to go.

Also, what year did the y8 tranny come stock on, so I know what year to ask for when I order parts?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

Honda transmissions aren't all that hard to work on. I replaced diff and mainshaft bearings in my tranny when it had to be done. It's about an 8 hour job the first time you do it. Just make sure you have a manual that covers that. A printout from Alldata actually covers the whole procedure if you have a mechanic that'll print it out for you...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The bearings are on the ends of the shafts. You don't have to deal with all the gears, syncros, etc; they stay assembled. Basically you can crack the case open and pull the bearings off.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

Yea, I found a couple how to's on this site and other sites that deal with honda trannys, So I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be dealing with. Although the haynes doesnt go over the tranny internals...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Cat Fuсker

Just remember one thing: if the housing isn't coming apart it means there's something you forgot to undo...most likely it's a snap ring.

Quick Reply: Main Shaft bearing...