Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MAP Sensor caused check engine light to go on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Exclamation MAP Sensor caused check engine light to go on?

Hi,

I ran into an unexpected problem today that I need help fixing.

I have a Honda Civic 2000 Ex, D series engine, D16Y8 I think?
Anyways, I was planning on doing some work, I was going to do an oil change and install and new fuel filter, but then it started to rain and I didn't get much done.

But when I was working on it, I tried to move the air intake of the way to get more room in front of the fuel filter, to do that, I simply unplugged the MAP sensor, while the battery was disconnected of course.

My problem is that when I started my car after the rain had stopped me, I noticed the check engine light, and my RPM gauge slightly higher than usual. I also put in a new exhaust system about a year ago, so I could hear my engine slightly revving. As of now I do not have an OBD II Scanner, but I do plan on getting one in the future, but for now, I do need somebody's insight.

(Sorry for the long question)

Thank you...

Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 PM

Get the code checked. Some shops will scan it for free. No point in speculating anything until you have the trouble code. You can reset the ECU and see if the code goes (and stays off).

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Chubby Chaser

unhook battery to reset ecu, then start it back up to see if it changes, if cel is still on you can get it checked at any part store for free or under the glove box you can jump the blue plug and turn key to on position and count cel flashes to pull codes