Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Metal on metal sound front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default Metal on metal sound front end

Over the past couple of months, there has been a rather loud clang, or metal on metal sound, coming from the front passenger side on my 1998 Civic DX. It happens where there is an impact on that wheel (hitting a bump, crack in the road, etc.), but it doesn't always make the sound when I hit one of those spots.

I took it to the guy that I use as a mechanic (he's not really a mechanic though) and he discovered that the inner/outer tie rods were shot, so he replaced them. However, the noise is still there. He also said that the lower motor mounts are gone, could this be the source of the noise? If so, why is it just coming from the passenger side when both mounts are shot?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM

suspension noises are a PAIN!!! ok.. your inner tie rods would have affected steering and tire wear.. your motor mounts you will notice vibration in the cabin area and a slight decline in your torque or pedal response.. it very well could be the mounts but i would lean more towards your lower control arm.. take off the wheel and look at the front bushing.. they are pretty notorious for going out and flapping around.. if thats the case you can buy a new or used one.. or take your chance trying to replace the bushing itself.. although i have never seen a company that sells just the bushing..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

My car doesn't shake at all when idling, but the rubber part of the lower motor mounts are torn.

I'm going next week to have my other wheels/tires put on so I'll have him check out the lower control arm then.

The best way I can describe the sound is its similar to when you drive over a man hole cover and the cover is loose and it makes the metal on metal clang sound. Thats coming from the front end, but I'm not driving over any man hole covers.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

Make sure to check all your exhaust mounts as well

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 AM
HCF Member

I know the motor mounts are worn, they may not be the cause of the noise, but I'm thinking of getting them replaced.

I got a quote from my mechanic and he said there is three of them (I thought there are two lower ones...) and that it would be about $300 total. Is that reasonable?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

You said the lower motor mounts are shot. They're pretty easy to replace, and cost about $35-$40 if you get them from autozone. But the mechinic you talked to might be getting them right from honda so they'll cost more. The amount does sound just about right if labor is $75-$90 an hour for 2 hours work.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 AM
HCF Member

The energy suspension poly urethane ones will stiffen everything up especially if they're just a little worn. If they're completely gone you should check out the nissan forums. There are tons of guys pouring their own sold polyurethan ones. They make a huge difference in power transfer and you get less wheel hop.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

I just went out and did the engine movement test. I kept one foot on the brake and punched the gas pedal with the other. My Dad was watching and he said the engine moved, but not a lot. We switched and I watched and the movement looked normal to me. I also didn't hear the noise (or any noises for that matter) when we were doing this.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 AM
HCF Member

My buddy just got back from the mechanics and he had something wrong with one of the CV joints on his passenger side axel. When we looked we couldn't see anything. He was complaining of similar things but more when he was turning at speed or on the highway hitting bumps.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

Well, I had my summer tires/wheels put on today and the guy checked out the LCA and said it looked fine. So I don't know what the noise is, but its driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: Metal on metal sound front end