Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

mini-me timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
HCF Member
Default mini-me timing

i have a z6 head im putting on my b8 block my question is how do i make sure the person that had the z6 head put it to TDC b4 they took it off...also how should the timing be set will the marks line up and work correctly

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the mark(s) on the cam sprocket following the instructions for its original engine. If it is not at TDC, FIRST turn the crank 90 degrees away from TDC (so the valves won't hit) and turn the cam to TDC. Then put the crank back at TDC and install the timing belt.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Also make sure you have the correct timing belt.
A common mistake people do when doing a mini-me is to use the wrong timing belt.
You should have the D16Z6 timing belt on there, with 104 teeth.

To count the teeth without taking the belt off or taking the crank pulley and such off, just take the valve cover off, and the spark plugs out.
Then use a permanent marker to mark the spot on the belt above the tooth you are starting with.
Then turn the crank via the crank slowly and count the teeth as you turn the crank, until you get back to mark you made. Be sure to count the tooth where the marking is only once.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

mk378 since the z6 head isn't on the block can i just put the cam to where it says UP and piston 1 to TDC and they wont hit?
also im gonna crank it by hand b4 i start it to make sure i dont hit the valve cuz that would just be a waste of time and money

Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

btw trust we should meet up sometime i wanna check out ur car i live in Satellite Beach
i dont even wanna drive it like 96 civic DX lol

Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by hamorhead
mk378 since the z6 head isn't on the block can i just put the cam to where it says UP and piston 1 to TDC and they wont hit?
also im gonna crank it by hand b4 i start it to make sure i dont hit the valve cuz that would just be a waste of time and money
yea that would work. there's a mark on the crank's timing belt gear though and a notch on the oil pump that you just line up together and that puts it at TDC. don't forget to tension your timing belt also.

i misread the first post and didn't realize you had the head off... ignore my previous post, as it is useless. lol
just make sure you do use the z6 timing belt.

the pistons on your d15b8 block have 4 valve reliefs each, right? because i know that there were some d15b8's only had 2 valve reliefs each.

and yea, maybe we could meet up sometime... is there anyone else on here too who lives by us? we could have a little HCF mini-meet. lol... then again thinking about the area we live in, i doubt there are many HCF members nearby... i know there's some more of them in orlando though, i just don't remember who

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

I know a few guys with honda but I don't think they are on here I went on. Majesty Honda and cx and dz pistons have the same part # oops I meant dx

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by hamorhead
I know a few guys with honda but I don't think they are on here I went on. Majesty Honda and cx and dz pistons have the same part # oops I meant dx
i just met someone on here that is from titusville, Jimbo&2000Si
wow, small world huh?
and his friend from titusville is on here too

the very early D15B8's have only 2 valve reliefs per piston
the reason they have the same part number regardless is because the 4 valve relief pistons replace the outdated 2 valve relief pistons, and you can use either with a D15B8 head. Honda doesn't sell the 2 valve relief D15B8 pistons anymore because making them would be pointless, when they can just make one piston that fits both the D15B7 and D15B8

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM
HCF Member

well if I have 2 reliefs we will find out shortly
When it warms up we should all meet up

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
the pistons on your d15b8 block have 4 valve reliefs each, right? because i know that there were some d15b8's only had 2 valve reliefs each.
well it does have 4 valve reliefs and the z6 head is on all i gotta do is put the intake mani on and im ready to start her up

Quick Reply: mini-me timing