Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
View Poll Results: What did you do when you got in a minor fender bender?
Something
28.57%
Nothing
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Minor Fender Bender...What Now?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Default Minor Fender Bender...What Now?

Hi everyone

Last night i backed out of a parking spot and hit my quasi-step-father's car. There are two small paint chips on the rear bumper (I read that if you have a metal bumper, you should get all paint chips/scratches fixed to avoid rusting, but i believe i have a plastic bumper. I have a 2009 Civic SI. do i indeed have a plastic bumper?)

anyway, i think i can buff out the paint chips and if not i can get them fixed at my local body shop, but my real concern is that there is some structural/frame damage

i have read several stories about extremely minor fender benders, resulting in mere scratches, that have dislodged engine mounts and suspension components.

i guess what i'm trying to ask is: what should i be doing now? should i consult a mechanic or what?

thanks everyone

Attached Thumbnails Minor Fender Bender...What Now?-_mg_5069.jpg   Minor Fender Bender...What Now?-_mg_5070.jpg   Minor Fender Bender...What Now?-_mg_5071.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

Lol your car is fine get it buffed or painted and waw-law and nice poll NICE.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

what sound does your bumper make when you tap on it lol

As for your car falling apart, unless you have a car from early 1900's, you'll be fine.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

youll be fine. to make it look all purty simply get some touch up paint, a piece of 2000grit sandpaper and anything flat and solid. simply piece of scrap wood only a inch needed, or you could try and free hand it but sanding it with a block would be best...

clean the damaged area with some wax remover to clean the surface really good on the chipped areas, let it dry for about 5mins just to be safe them start dobing on some touch up paint... wait 1/2hour or so and touch it up again just to build the paint up to higher than the stock paint. might take 2-4 layers of dabing but give it time between coats to dry good. then PREFERABLY next day then come back with the sandpaper wrapped around your little block of what ever and with a bucket of water with alittle soap in the water to help lubricate the sandpaper and clean it off alittle lightly sand the touch up paint areas with only lightly sanding pressure and check it every 10seconds or so... you dont want to go to low... mainly just sand the touch up paint flat with the stock paint.
then alittle fine rubbing compound and wax around those areas will shine the paint up like brand new. and the chips should be barely noticeable!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
youll be fine. to make it look all purty simply get some touch up paint, a piece of 2000grit sandpaper and anything flat and solid. simply piece of scrap wood only a inch needed, or you could try and free hand it but sanding it with a block would be best...

clean the damaged area with some wax remover to clean the surface really good on the chipped areas, let it dry for about 5mins just to be safe them start dobing on some touch up paint... wait 1/2hour or so and touch it up again just to build the paint up to higher than the stock paint. might take 2-4 layers of dabing but give it time between coats to dry good. then PREFERABLY next day then come back with the sandpaper wrapped around your little block of what ever and with a bucket of water with alittle soap in the water to help lubricate the sandpaper and clean it off alittle lightly sand the touch up paint areas with only lightly sanding pressure and check it every 10seconds or so... you dont want to go to low... mainly just sand the touch up paint flat with the stock paint.
then alittle fine rubbing compound and wax around those areas will shine the paint up like brand new. and the chips should be barely noticeable!

dam additciton way to make it seem simple hehe

Old 09-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well it really is.LOL
try explaining tictactoe it gets long to but very simple!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 AM
HCF Member

Is there even any damage? I mean I cant see anything wrong granted I am color blind to red but I dont see much here

Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

its just two tiny paint chips on the plastic bumper cover. nothing to really worry about.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 AM
March 2010 ROTM

You really think a 2009 vehicle would fall apart or suffer frame damage from something so small? haha. Your fine. Buff it and it would look fine im sure.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM

thanks everyone...good to know what to do now and to know the cars fine...shoulda known all along ha