Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Misfire on Cy 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Default Misfire on Cy 2

Hi there All:

I have a 2000 Civic EX 4 door with 1.6 engine. While driving down the interstate the other day , I heard a slight noise followed by decrease in power. within seconds, the check engine light started flashing. After pulling over to see if I was leaking any fluids, or if anything was obviously wrong, I drove to Advance Auto and checked the computer. There where a few codes, but the only one that reset after clearing the computer was a misfire on cyl 2.

I have replaced plugs and wires, flip flopped injectors on 1 and 2 and the problem stays on 2, cleaned slight corrosion off the rotor and cap, and put in a fuel filter. I seem to have spark at allI read somewhere that it could be low fuel pressure and was thinking of putting in a cheap "generic" to test this idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: How much damage (if any) might be caused by driving with this condition?
Also should add that I have had a bad muffler leak for months that I have avoided. Could this have contributed at all to a misfire?

Thanks.

Last edited by Keith Marretta; 05-04-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: further question
Old 05-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Default Update/EDIT

I went ahead and put the fuel pump in with no improvement. It was super simple to put in, but guess fuel pressure was not the issue.
I just bought an OTC/HEI Ignition Spark Tester, so will go back through my spark diagnostic with it.

Good info on this forum. I have been reading about all different issues and feel closer to my Civic already!

Keith M