Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

misfires, sensor malfunctions, and coolant disappearing!! Whats going on??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Default misfires, sensor malfunctions, and coolant disappearing!! Whats going on??

Ok now I think something is wrong with the motor!!

I had an oil change at Jiffy Lube..(not sure why).. drove 400 miles the next morning to Florida and when I stopped to get gas, I realized I was overheating. I have no idea how long the needle was on Hot for but I never smelled anything or heard anything with the engine as I was driving.. There was VERY little oil left in the engine and I had no coolant in the radiator left.

When I finally made it to Honda,(after sitting for hours in between for the engine to cool) they fixed the loose drain plug, (Thanks to the Jiffy Lube geniuses) filled the radiator and also gave me a pressure test for the radiator and the test turned out good with no problems..

A few hours later, Im overheating and low on oil AGAIN, put in a quart and currently my oil levels are still good.. But the last 2 mornings Ive had to top off my coolant again. 2 days ago at Honda, I had only 0135 code for my o2 sensor..(been on for a while) Today, I got a misfire in only the first 3 cylinders, not the fourth, and a random misfire. I also now have 0118 for my ECT sensor malfunction ..

What happened!!! I have had misfires before due to spark plugs, etc. and today, the engine was only jerking very easily, unlike the very noticable ones when I had a bad plug. Did something happen to my motor because of the overheating and the absence of oil?? Please help me!

Is the ect sensor whats screwing up my coolant levels or could it be more than this??

Thanks guys!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like compresion issue. I would check that first then see if the radi. Or heater core is leaking.