Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

more problems with my civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Default more problems with my civic

well now to add on to the knocking axels and crappy suspension that i got when i purchased the car, IT WONT START! Does anyone have an idea why? before today sometimes it would turn over slow but it would still start, but now it doesn't even start. i think it is the starter, but im not sure. can someone please help, as in this is my only way to get anywhere. thanks guys.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: more problems with my civic

have you been able to boost it? or if it is a manual jump start it. it could be the battery. try getting someone with jumper cables to give you a booost and then see if it keeps happening, cause it could be just a bad battery

Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM

ok i will try that.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:10 PM

prum... i dont think it is my battery, for the simple reason that all of the lights and the radio work. so yeah, does anyone think its the starter? or maybe i would hate to even think this but is the motor seized?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

clean the cables and battery terminal.
do not start it and check the battery voltage.
probably the battery. you cannot tell by the fact that the lights etc come on.
may have to take it to a parts place that has a battery tester. they have the tester that are 200 to 300 dollar testers to let you know the condition of the battery.
yu can block the wheels and put it in neutral and put a socket on the crankshaft nut and turn it counterclockwise to see if you can turn the engine over. my guess is that is OK.
might take the ground off (from the battery) where it connects to the engine and wirebrush that also.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

There are like 50 things that could cause your car to not start. Does the starter turn the engine over?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM

it doesn't turn over at all no noise, nothing.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 AM

First of all a known good battery should be put in. If you want to remove yours & load test it that's fine. A jump may not work because if the battery has an internal short all the current from the jump vehicle will follow the short to ground and not get to the starter. You might want to try a jump cable directly to the starter to see if it's a problem with the starter itself. It could be a neutral safety switch. It could be an ignition switch. It could be corroded contacts. It could be many things, so start at the top.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

Find a place that does conductance tests and have one performed. Load tests are good, but conductance tests are much better. Turn on your headlights and try to start the car. Check if the headlights stay bright or if they go dim. If they go dim, it means the starter is drawing current but not turning over. If the headlights stay bright then it means the starter isn't drawing any current. This will not work in cars that kill the lights when you start the car.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM

thanks guys. i took it down to kragen and they said my battery was no good. so i dot a new battery and it runs fine, i still am going to get new cables though, cause mine are shot. thanks for the help