Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MPG improvements - I/H/E? - writeups? Links?

Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Default MPG improvements - I/H/E? - writeups? Links?

Anyone know any links, (cuz I can't find any posts here), on tried and tested ways to improve gas mileage? Besides all the tune up thangs, what are the next steps? I read people saying I/H/E but people give mixed results, some say they have better mileage while others say they get worse, (I assume most people do these mods for more power so they probably step on the skinny pedal a bit more after the mods!).

I was thinking starting with a K&N Typhoon, and then throwing a Test pipe in, (or hollowed out free flow cat). I wasnt going to do the header right away.

I really am looking for MPG numbers from stock to the specific mods people have done.

Oh and I want to keep it as quiet as possible!

Thanks

Oh I got a 2001 civic LX 4 door.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: MPG improvements - I/H/E? - writeups? Links?

I noticed an improvement of 1.7 mpg with my CAI.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU
I noticed an improvement of 1.7 mpg with my CAI.

Well that's something in the right direction. Here's my deal; I just bought this car and the previous, and original, owner kept impecable records. It appears he followed the maintenace to a T. But with 60,000mi he only changed the air filter once! At about 30,000miles. I can only imagine that droping in a new filter would make a difference, but even the el' cheapo Fram filters are 18 bucks! So that will be 18 bucks toward the CAI for me!

I drive almost 500 mi a week, (long hwy runs), and so far my numbers on multiple trips are 34-36 mpg highway;

- 65mph and no AC = 36mpg hwy
- 80mph and A/C on = 34.5mpg hwy

to me the speed and use of AC is justifiable at less than 2mpg difference. I would like to get up to at least the reported 38mpg on the sticker... but we'll see...

Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I/H/E will get you some MPG but cost effectiveness is lacking.

A good way to go for the intake is just get a cheapo ebay short ram intake and put a better filter on it ($30 plus new filter). Then, get a megan 4-2-1 2 piece header ($150), it's the most economical of the quality headers. Also, magnaflow cat backs can be found at $340 shipped... then to round it up you'd need a $50 high flow cat.

That would get you the most economical I/H/E. Since you're looking for MPG, you've obviously got economy on the mind.

The total would be $570. It would maybe net you 4-5 mpg. Would that be worth it to you??? That would be something you would have to sit down and calculate.

Keep in mind that aerodynamics (lowering), and weight reduction are also key. Along with sensible driving habits obviously.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 PM

This sword has two very sharp blades, however.

As much as you'll appreciate those extra couple miles per gallon, just the simple addition of some improved breathing aparatus for your engine will boost your performance enough that you might find yourself driving more aggressively, thus nullifying any increase in economy.

I added a CAI to my car on Saturday and since then, including my usualy commute, I've really blown through some fuel just because I've been keeping the revs in the powerband so I could hear the new engine wail and so I could really feel the car pull. Were I a stronger-willed person, I would drive like I usually do and get a savory taste of my new performace when I had to pass someone or carve up some traffic. As it is, I'm chirping tires at stoplights, which is pretty out of character for me. I just keep telling myself that I'll go easier on the next tank and that the labor of modifying the car has earned me this indulgence.

Anyway, be warned: With an effiency increase comes a nearly irresistable performance increase.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

are those mpg figures correct? looks like you do better with the ac on rather than off.

keep the junk out of the car.
drive 55.
air up the tires to the max that is on the tire.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM

hmm, well even if I were to gain 5 mpg, (i.e. from 35 to 40mpg), and I drive about 450 miles a week, that only saves me about 1.5gal a week. Of course that's 39 gallons a year which would be roughly $117 in 1 year, (given that gas is $3 a gal).

So it would take me a several years to earn that back...

We'll I'll try the whole tune up thing first and then come back to this. Might even just get a K&N filter when I go to get a new air filter and call it good...

Thanks for you help

Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 AM

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

are those mpg figures correct? looks like you do better with the ac on rather than off.

Oops good call I mixed them up!

Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

there is a theory that shows that one can do almost as good with a ac on driving the highway rather than with no ac and the windows down - being because of the drag produced by the windows being down.

there is an optimal mph. i did not post it because i dont feel as if people want to drive it going down the highway - and it could in a sense not be safe. i think it is something like 47 mph.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

That all depends on the car itself, there is no rule of thumb that would cover all vehicles because each vehicle has it's own shape and drag coefficient.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG improvements - I/H/E? - writeups? Links?