Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MT fluid: To change, or not to change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Default MT fluid: To change, or not to change...

Hi, I just recently bought a '98 DX man transmission.

I've been sorta tuning it up cuz i have no idea how the other owner treated it. so im pulling out all the stops (oil, all filters, spark plugs, etc) and I was planning on changing my own trans fluid. BUT i couldnt get the fill bolt off. (a sign from God not to try to change it myself maybe?) But yeah, stripped the fill bolt, and i ordered another one.

anyway, I read some more on here about transmission fluid, and found that my transmission might not like new fluid, and i'm better off sticking with whats in there. i have 102000 miles on the car. and im wondering if changing the fluid is a good idea or bad idea.

ALSO, just a side note, when im shifting to second or third gear, the clutch or transmission or something sqeaks. almost like a small tire squeal... except its not the tires. idk, just looking for some input.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Default RE: MT fluid: To change, or not to change...

i dont know if this is much help but it just like ur car oil if it dirty u need to change it quickly if its semi-dirty u u need to change it soon and if itsnot dirty than dont change it .

Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM

yeah thanks man, that helped alot.

any ideas why it might be making a chirp in 2nd and third?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

It could just be they are starting to grind, 2nd and 3ed are the worst for gears starting to go. Do you even feel it crunch a little when putting it into the gear or does it go in perfect and just squeek like you said?

And you mide as well just change the MT fluid and just start fresh, if your worried about changing the kind thats in it, just get some honda fluid. Heres a DIY I made. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_293737/tm.htm

Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM

^ i have no idea why it making that chirp becasue for some reason whenever my transmition has been shifting waytoo smooth lately it like my transmition is lose btu it not so i dont kow if its the sysnthic oil i switch to or what but.......

Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: s2000gtx

^ i have no idea why it making that chirp becasue for some reason whenever my transmition has been shifting waytoo smooth lately it like my transmition is lose btu it not so i dont kow if its the sysnthic oil i switch to or what but.......
The sysnthic oil does make a difference, it goes in gears alot smoother I find. I switch to GM synchromesh because I had a grind in second that was getting REALLY bad, in the cold esspesially. Believe it or not, since I switched, I havent had any grinds and I changed it last summer, its been about a year now, even in the winter the tranny isALOT smoother after cold starts.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

no need 2 make 2 threads [8D]

Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

It could just be they are starting to grind, 2nd and 3ed are the worst for gears starting to go. Do you even feel it crunch a little when putting it into the gear or does it go in perfect and just squeek like you said?

And you mide as well just change the MT fluid and just start fresh, if your worried about changing the kind thats in it, just get some honda fluid. Heres a DIY I made. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_293737/tm.htm

oh crap does little crunch mean its going to start 2 grind soon, cause ive been getting a small crunch in 3rd gear.....i thought it has something to do with ym short throw shifter

Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

ORIGINAL: s2000gtx

The sysnthic oil does make a difference, it goes in gears alot smoother I find. I switch to GM synchromesh because I had a grind in second that was getting REALLY bad, in the cold esspesially. Believe it or not, since I switched, I havent had any grinds and I changed it last summer, its been about a year now, even in the winter the tranny isALOT smoother after cold starts.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lol i been wondering for months why my transmition was so damn smooth ,i thought tht i need some new bushing than i thought tht the transmition might be loose than i thought tht i needed a clutch lol now i know it the darn oil thth switch to.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

Well it doesnt mean its for sure what I said, but if it started to happend right after you changed the oil, then thats most likly it right. My shifter is still really tight, just shifting into gears is really smooth, its like a hot knife through hot butter lol.

And IC the crunching is the griding, if it grinds as its going into gear then just take it easy, its your syncro. There have been many threads in the tranny section if you want to read more.

Quick Reply: MT fluid: To change, or not to change...