Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

my 1990 honda civic STD

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Default my 1990 honda civic STD

how you all doin' guys??.. well i have this honda... its a hatchback and 4 speed manual transmission. everytime i started the car, i need to press the clutch. i read this article in the internet that i can bypass this so that i don't to press the clutch anymore. but i cannot find the switch on the clutch. can you guys tell what it's look like and if you guys have a picture, that's a great help. thnx a lot!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: my 1990 honda civic STD

That's a safety feature, and would not recommend doing this[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 PM

thanks for the advice but i really need it so that i can install a remote starter... thnx!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

like Misha said it is a safety feature to prevent the car to start in gear and cause a possible accident..I do not reccomend it neither

But .. your car, your money, your life , your choise ............the clutch switch is located by the clutch pedal .. ( under the dash )

Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 PM

thnx for the concern.. well i know where the switch is located. i just don't know what it looks like.. thnx again!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

I don't think that anyone on this forum should be telling people how to do things that will endanger the lives of other people. It is the owner's choice to do whatever he/she wants to do but its our responisibilty to make sure that we don't help people go around safety features. Just like we don't tell people how to start thier cars w/o the keys we shouldnt' tell people how to bypass clutch switches.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

mmmmmmm.. all i did was tell him where the switch is located which he already knew and not how to rig it to make it work .....and by the way did you forget cars in the 80s???? none of them had the clutch switch ,,
personally i do not consider this a high risk safety issue ,, but besides that i did not give him any info other than the location .. which like i said he already knew
but i agree with you that we should not give information that could japerdize peoples lives ..

Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM

The clutch switch is a normally open switch. By depressing the pedal you actually CLOSE the switch. The incoming wire is Blue with a black makrer, and the outgoing wire is black and it is grounded. Depressing the clutch pedal closes the circuit and grounds the blue wire with the black marker. If you simply ground the incoming wire (namely the blue and black marker wire) by say splicing the two wires together you should bypass the switch. The starter circuit is a big black wire with a white marker. If you apply power to that line 'downstream' of the safety relay you could acomplish the same goal.

Fuel injected cars start so easily that the safety switch was introduced in about 1988. I recall just touching the 'start' position with my ignition switch on my 1987 Accord and launched the car - fortunately into an empty parking space. Better remember to leave the stick in neutral and apply the hand brake.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gjb149
The clutch switch is a normally open switch. By depressing the pedal you actually CLOSE the switch. The incoming wire is Blue with a black makrer, and the outgoing wire is black and it is grounded. Depressing the clutch pedal closes the circuit and grounds the blue wire with the black marker. If you simply ground the incoming wire (namely the blue and black marker wire) by say splicing the two wires together you should bypass the switch. The starter circuit is a big black wire with a white marker. If you apply power to that line 'downstream' of the safety relay you could acomplish the same goal.

Fuel injected cars start so easily that the safety switch was introduced in about 1988. I recall just touching the 'start' position with my ignition switch on my 1987 Accord and launched the car - fortunately into an empty parking space. Better remember to leave the stick in neutral and apply the hand brake.
Dude, do you realize what you are doing? This guy may manage to install the ****** thing, and one nice morning he will remotely start his car left in gear, and the car will run over toddler playing in front of it... And you are responsible for giving him info on how to do this.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 AM

The information provided is available at the public library (wiring circuit diagram)
If he wants to hook up a remote starter - it's his right to do so.
I live in CANADA, not the land of litigation and law suits.

Quick Reply: my 1990 honda civic STD