Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car isn't cranking and all I hear is a *CLICK*

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 01:20 AM
Default My car isn't cranking and all I hear is a *CLICK*

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I have a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback and recently I've come across this problem that I can't start my car. While all the lights light up and the radio works while on the ON position, when I try to crank the engine all I hear is a click and then nothing, although I'm able to start the car if I pull start it. I've checked the battery and poles, I even gave the starter a couple smacks with a hammer but nothing.

I'm sorry if there's already a threat about this problem but I'm quite new to forums and I don't know how to navigate quite yet.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:15 PM

try jump starting the battery if no start than line up to change the starter

Old 11-22-2022, 07:14 PM

By pull starting, do you mean bump starting (where you push the car with the clutch disengaged and them pop (engage) the clutch)? If so, you must have a manual transmission. Look around on the carpeting underneath the pedals. If you see some small pieces of broken plastic it means that the clutch (or brake) pedal stop pads have broken. These pads snap into a hole on the hidden end of your pedal and push against an interlock switch when you depress the clutch pedal. Without the pad in place the pedal will not push the interlock switch in fully and will prevent your car from powering the starter motor. Replacement pads are very inexpensive.

If you don't find any broken pieces of plastic lying on the floorboards, then the problem is probably with your starter. They are easily removed and can be bench tested at most part stores for free. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:12 PM
Default https://totoghost.com

Why are you still writing on the internet? https://totoghost.com Why don't you write a book when you're really good at writing like this crazy person? It's a waste of your talent to just be in this space.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:23 AM

if all your wiring's in good shape your starter's definitely seized.