Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need advice: spend on service & parts for tires? Or buy another used car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 AM
HCF Member
Default Need advice: spend on service & parts for tires? Or buy another used car?

So I just went to my local Canadian Tire to have my car, and specifically my tires checked. The service manager had me rotate my steering wheel all the way to one end so that he could see the inside edge of the tires as well. the front tires's inner edge are bald. In fact I could feel and see metal wires. It was clear that whatever problem my tires or my car has, these tires need to go. So the manager at the tire service center printed me out an invoice of the costs involved in getting this problem fixed. My two rear tires I have had since 2004. The mechanic says that it's time to replace the rear tires as well even though it may appear that they still have some tread.
Anyway, here is what the print out from the manager says:

(All prices in Canadian dollars)
Motomaster 175/70r13 $48 each, or $192 for all four tires.
Tire balancing $24 each tire, or $96 for all.
Steering and suspension inspection $38
4-wheel thrust alignment: $105 (if only front needs alignment) or $150 (if rear needs alignment too)
Estimated shop supplies $26
---------------------------------
Parts: $192
Labour: $284
Other: $46
Gst: $26
PST: $37
Total: $585

The manager said that there may be additional part cost if the rack and pinions or other parts connecting the tires to the car need to be replaced.

So here is what I am wondering. Should I go ahead and get my tires replaced and get the alignment and get every service that the manager, who seems to be very honest and upfront, recommends that I get? Or, is it not worth it to get all of the services and tires on an old (1995) car with 350000 kilometers in mileage? In other words, I am wondering whether it's a better investment and money to just buy another car, most likely also used, but something newer than my Civic. My friend bought mercedes-benz that is about 10 years old for just $6,000. I don't need a luxury car. I probably cannot afford a brand new car of any brand. If I could spend just 3000 or $4,000 max to get a used and reliable car (I'm not limiting myself to a Civic), then do you guys still think it's worth it to plunk down around $600 for service and parts of these tires?

Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM

This is an age old question... when do the repairs for a car exceed the value? this is completely up to you as it is difficult to value that car. if you want a newer car go for it. If there is nothing else wrong with the car, why buy another used car that could have problems?

Tires are a wear item, you can expect them to go bad eventually, just like suspension components. The shop should be able to shake down the suspension to see if there is something causing the tires to wear unevenly.

Your friend who bought a 10 year old mercedes may be kicking himself the moment one thing goes wrong. Those cars are expensive to keep up, which explains the lower used pricing

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 01-14-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:33 AM
HCF Member

Easy question, do the tires. The shop is recommending alignment because of uneven tire wear, is that a valid diagnosis? When you get time (soon) have it aligned, if the cost of repair to the suspension is crazy, then consider options.
Or just buy a brand new one.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Find a place that won't rip you off for mounting & balancing, the suspension inspection should be included at no additional charge (I used to work for a tire place), and the 4 wheel alignment also seems a bit high. Of course I live in the States-around here average prices are as follows (all in USD)

Mounting & Balancing: $9-$12 per tire
Steering and suspension inspection (performed as part of the alignment service): $0
Standard 4 wheel computer-aided alignment: $75-$105

Pro-tip: You only need your driving wheels aligned unless you have a vehicle with All Wheel or 4 Wheel Drive.