Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need best bolt on swap for 94 dx

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Default need best bolt on swap for 94 dx

how's it going there everybody, just boguth a 94 dx with 70,000 miles runs great, no hiccups but i could use more power, what would be the best and easiest swap for this car? i heard the b16a its a bang for the buck and a breeze to install, i really dont want to waste money on the "mini me" thing just to go vtec and get a 20hp gain

Old 03-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Default RE: need best bolt on swap for 94 dx

d15b swap it has 130hp and is a breeze , i just put that motor in my 95 coupe and i love it, i got it for 395$$ and its a vtec...

Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 PM

is it a hassle to install a b16a? my d15b7 outputs 102hp stock, with the "mini me" might get me the extra 25-30 in that case. if im swaping the engine im looking for no less than 40 hp more i forgot to mention that im planning to turbo it in the near future i need an engine with good potential

Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

b16a is over 60 horses more than youre B7. its a whole different ballgame than the b7. youre in the same boat i was. i blew up my B7, and went with a JDM B16a. that was great till i had to take my car to smog referee, the motor is older than the car, so i could never get it to pass. thats when i went to the B18c1. as for the swap, try to have around a grand more than the cost of the swap around in case you run into problems. i had to replace the radiator twice, and the water pump and timing belt after the swap was "done". put in a new clutch, resurface the flywheel, and put on a new t-belt and water pump while its out of the car. i did it on the B18, and it was a great move. i dont have to worry about any of those for a long long time. but the swap itself isnt too difficult, as long as you have some decent mechanics skills, and maybe a friend or two, hopefully one thats good with wiring, youll be fine. but schedule out a week to do your first swap, then if you finish it in a day or two, youll be happy. i had to bum a car off a friend when i ran into problems with my gsr (i was painting the engine bay too, and that was a HUGE project)

Old 03-29-2005, 12:27 AM

yeah im sure im gonna run into a lot of those "extras", i do have some quiestions about that emission test:

did you failed the visual test? or the actual smog test? did they noticed the swap? wich state did you live in?

i live in colorado and i have a heavily modified 83 jeep cj5 and the only stock part on the engine is the overbored block it failed 3 times in a row been waaaay up (mostly HC and CO) i managed to pass the test by mixing 1gl of denaturalized alcohol on a full tank. the readings droped 50% off the limit [],

yeah im totally concerned about emission tests the b16a sure looks good for the price wish i could afford that b18c[&o] the d15b looks like a quick, easy and cheap way also but i dunno....swaping the engine for 30 extra hps?[&:]

Old 03-29-2005, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

if its actual emissions youre worried about, the b16 should be fine. in Cali they are ***** about smog and swaps. they have a bunch of rules about what you can and cant do. mine wouldnt pass the referee, which is kinda like smog test for swapped cars, because of the year. it was a 94 motor in my 95 car. it has to be the same year or newer than the car.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM

yeah, i've heard all kind of stupid stuff about the CARB board down there, i wonder how people manage to modify their cars at a decent level. btw today i found 1 today for $950 includes everything except the tranny 45,000 miles on it.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

is it a second gen(b16a[2])? a lot of people sell the first gen b16s like that, but a second gen one would be way easier to install.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

you all ought to move to South Carolina... half of the ***** here dont know what emission means (because there hasnt been tests here before)

Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 PM

you all ought to move to South Carolina... half of the ***** here dont know what emission means (because there hasnt been tests here before)

LOL

it's a first gen b16a [&o], another guy sells me an h22a for 1500 with 80k miles at this point im very excited, today we pulled the d15 out of the car all i need is the right candidate my limits are 1000-1500 for the motor and 1000 for any extras that might come across, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: need best bolt on swap for 94 dx