Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need break pads a rotors, suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Default Need break pads a rotors, suggestions??

its bout time for me to replace my brake pads and rotors on my 2000 honda civic lx. i went to midas and they were tlaking about $250-$300 to replace both, for just the ronts. i was looking online and in this board and found a do it yourslef guide and i also hve haynes to help me out as well. just wondering if its as easy as it looks and sounds. also what brand would u recommend me getting if i cant get the actual honda brands, something not too much but still have good performance. and help or suggestions would be greatfully apperciated. this board has been more than helpful

Old 07-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Need break pads a rotors, suggestions??

Yeh, if you can do it yourself, great for you, because for the same amount (or maybe a bit more) a garage will charge you, you could buy upgraded parts and install them.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

yea its not that hard at all. Ive been doing mine for years now and i learned thru the haynes manual. If u wanna drive to NJ ill help ya out lol.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

yeah man once you pull the wheel off, its all pretty self eplanitory. If you have any questions post them and we'll help you out

Old 07-10-2005, 10:40 PM

cool thanks, any brand suggestions?

Old 07-10-2005, 11:31 PM
HCF Member

I've heard good things about Brembo and Willwood, but its kinda expensive.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

IF you wanna go big time, WIlwood and Brembo are definitely two of the best brands to check out. However, if you dont have that kind of bank, just go with OEM stuff. I just recently put $50 rotors (50 for both), and a $35 set of semi-metallic brake pads on mine, and that setup works great for Daily Driving. And it only took me about an hour to do the entire install in my driveway.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:21 PM

thanks for the help. i went with the bremo pads and put them in myself it was so easy! im gonna put the rotors on tommorow, which are also bremo (just got paid). my old pads were so worn down it was almost metal to metal so im glad i did it when i did. the bord is so great.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: mrblackhp
im gonna put the rotors on tommorow
Make sure you get some brake cleaner and clean those new rotors good before installing them. They usually come with a bit of oil on them so they don't rust while being stored, and if you don't clean that off, it can cause problems. Don't be shy with the brake cleaner!

Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mrblackhp

thanks for the help. i went with the bremo pads and put them in myself it was so easy! im gonna put the rotors on tommorow, which are also bremo (just got paid). my old pads were so worn down it was almost metal to metal so im glad i did it when i did. the bord is so great.

youre goin to have to take the pads off to get the new rotors on there.........

Quick Reply: Need break pads a rotors, suggestions??