Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help for brake squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
HCF Member
Question need help for brake squealing noise

Hello everyone, I just got an 05 EM2 (Front Disc, Rear Drum)not long ago. (Yes, it is a used car) In the recent 2 week I aware the brake is making squealing noise when I slightly apply force on it and the car is about to stop. It does not happen when the car is on high speed or I apply to the brake with bit more effort. I had been searching the forum, but fail to find a case exactly like mine. So I just want to ask some pointer if it is just a poorly made caliper or if it is about time to get a new brake pad. Although the car had S(afety) inspection before I put the license on it, I know how sketchy the so called "S inspection" can be, and I well aware the previous owner is a pig (judging by the condition of the car, way too out of shape for 5 years old, 66k kms). Therefore, I sincerely ask people here to generously give me a hand to help my lovely "wife" called Civic.

Regard
B. L.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Chubby Chaser

can you be more specific on the detail on the squealing and if its on the front or the back, and have you inspected your pads yourself?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

I recently had the same problem on my 93 Civic DX. I thought it was the pads, changed them, used disc brake quiet, and it still squeals in exactly the same manner as you described - only on slower stops. My rotors where fine and smooth, but I think it is simply due to the fact that I changed out for OEM ceramics. I am planning on getting new rotors and calipers soon anyway, so I will just deal with it.

Mike

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
can you be more specific on the detail on the squealing and if its on the front or the back, and have you inspected your pads yourself?
The squealing noise is rather high pitch, it somewhat resemble the noise from those low quality chalk scratching on chalkboard. Since the pitch is very high, and I can not listen it from outside. (I was the only one in the house able to drive a manual), I can not tell if it is from the front or the back for sure. But I do drag the car with parking brake on for a short distance. (Yep, that was human error), and getting nothing. (no noise) Therefore I will assume it is likely come from the front. I do not have the tool to check the brake pad yet (not torque wrench), plus I am renting a room, there is no garage and no flat surface. (Jack up the car at the side of the road seems dangers, I may have to pick a strip mall parking lot to perform the task if an inspection turn out to be necessary) Oh, and how does a wear indicator on Civic looks like? Does it has a distinct colour stripe or some sort?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by shelzmike
I recently had the same problem on my 93 Civic DX. I thought it was the pads, changed them, used disc brake quiet, and it still squeals in exactly the same manner as you described - only on slower stops. My rotors where fine and smooth, but I think it is simply due to the fact that I changed out for OEM ceramics. I am planning on getting new rotors and calipers soon anyway, so I will just deal with it.

Mike
I am sure the calipers and the discs on my EM2 are stock down to nasty. I still blowing green ($) to the car for the coming winter and tried to slowly clean up the mess from the pig (previous owner) leave behind. So choosing between a set of winter tyres and a decent set of tool to perform minimal inspection (a set of socket with a ratchet and a calibrated torque wrench ) is really a tough call for me.

Last edited by BrillianceLin; 09-20-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by BrillianceLin
I am sure the calipers and the discs on my EM2 are stock down to nasty. I still blowing green ($) to the car for the coming winter and tried to slowly clean up the mess from the pig (previous owner) leave behind. So choosing between a set of winter tyres and a decent set of tool to perform minimal inspection (a set of socket with a ratchet and a calibrated torque wrench ) is really a tough call for me.
Buy your tools from Harbor Freight. They have great sales & buy when the things you want are on sale. Heck you can find a socket set & wrench set for under $40. Or check yard sales & Pawn Shops also.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 90 Civic
Buy your tools from Harbor Freight. They have great sales & buy when the things you want are on sale. Heck you can find a socket set & wrench set for under $40. Or check yard sales & Pawn Shops also.
Errr.... will that be more expensive if I order it across the boarder? But pawn shop is a good call! Thanks for the reply...

Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

squealing is usually caused either by your squealer touching the rotor indicating it's time to change pads and resurface rotor, or you need to re bed the pads into the rotor because the pad transfer layer has worn off and the pad is squealing against the rotor.

another possibility is that there isn't enough lube between the pads and shims/caliper so when force is applied the pad will vibrate and squeal against the shims/caliper. so relube

Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
squealing is usually caused either by your squealer touching the rotor indicating it's time to change pads and resurface rotor, or you need to re bed the pads into the rotor because the pad transfer layer has worn off and the pad is squealing against the rotor.

another possibility is that there isn't enough lube between the pads and shims/caliper so when force is applied the pad will vibrate and squeal against the shims/caliper. so relube
Hmm.... do you mind tell me which case is temperature dependent? Since the temperature in my town took a dip and humanity is low recently, the problem mostly go away when the car is cold. But after the car warm up, or after the rain, the problem is more significant....

Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by BrillianceLin
Since the temperature in my town took a dip and humanity is low recently...
what happened to all the humanity in your town? Did they all leave, or something more sinister??

j/k I know it was a typo, but it was kinda funny...anyway, I really think you have the same problem as I do - hard pads on softer rotors. I know it is so annoying, but I am just dealing with mine until I rebuild the entire setup.

Mike

Quick Reply: need help for brake squealing noise