Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help diagnosing starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Default Need help diagnosing starting problems

okai lets start at the problem.... i start the car up it runs.... and than when i turn off the car than turn it right back up like 5 minutes later sometimes* it just starts and dies like it choking... and it does that a couple of times.. if i let it cool down a bit den it starts again later it starts... i got a honda civic hatch back dx 94.. things i have done so far... fuel pump change. fuel filter changed. fuel injecter cleaned twice. (oil change/clutch fluid change. dunt no if it does anything lol). Im thinking about checking my sparks plug tomorrow and changing my spark plug wires.. any one no a better thing to do or no whats the problem?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 AM
HCF Member

yes you can check the spark plugs and clean them or replace them but is the alternator belt tight? is your alternator good?(test it at autozone they doit for free)check the fuel lines and make sure that nothin is bent, pinched or look unusual in anyway

let us know how it goes

Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

As mentioned, check the plugs and plug wires. Also remove the distributor cap and inspect the contact points inside the cap and on the rotor for wear and corrosion. Look for any other possible damage inside the distributor. If these important ignition components have not been replaced recently, then do so now.

Is the CEL ON?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM

Sounds like weak ignition to me.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM

thanks guys im gonna do it tomorrow. ill update you guys on it after

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 AM
HCF Member

my car had similar symptoms when the main relay was going bad
you can try resoldering it or buy a new one if none of the above suggestions help out

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 AM
HCF Member

i concur with hamorhead that it could be the main relay especially since the fuel pump was already replaced.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mundy5
i concur with hamorhead that it could be the main relay especially since the fuel pump was already replaced.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM

i think its just the sparks plug. because i checked n the spark plugs were some crappy **** i changed it to NGK plugs with NGK wires n it havnt died on me yet. but who knows when it will die again. So ill try the trick to see if my relay is working right,. i think u reach around behind the dash and put your fingers on the Main Relay, you'll hear/feel 3 clicks as you start the car. if its missing a click than its the relay being faulty

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First pull off the distributor cap and inspect the inside contact points and those on the rotor. If worn or corroded, clean or replace the cap and rotor to avoid future problems with the ignition system.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing starting problems