Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New 2013 LX Civic owner... many questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Default New 2013 LX Civic owner... many questions

1. ECO ASSIST: Is it more a driving behavior monitor (passive) on the 2013 or does it change the car's reaction (active)? Not really knowing how it works, I noticed I had a lot of green in the first two tankfulls, and then shut it off when I got on freeway (see subsequent post below), then when switching it back on again noticed it is green far less in driving situations.
  2. ACCELERATION: All my test drives were local, so I was a bit surprised at the lack of punch sloow acceleration (automatic) when getting on freeway. Does anyone know what the 2013 LX auto is supposed to be doing for 0-60? It didn't seem to be a major difference switching ECO ASSIST off, hence above question. I do have another make car with a similar size engine as a comparison.
  3. (silly question) AUDIO: Is there any way to mute the audio other than turning it down (eg when you go through a drive-through).
This is my VERY FIRST HONDA, and first Civic, so forgive my potential ignorance here. Thanks much in advance!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Hello and Welcome to the forum
Your question about the ECO Assist, as far as I know ( maybe a more knowledgable member can chime in on this ) is just a meter displaying how fuel efficiently you are driving and should not affect performance.
As for the hard acceleration being slow, well it is what it is, the car is built to be affordable, and have good mpgs. What other vehicle do you have that has a similar engine size? If it has a turbo, then that would explain why you feel a major difference in acceleration.
As for a mute function with the factory stereo, I don't believe there is one. I normally turn off the radio/stereo if I'm talking to someone or at a drive thru in your example, no point of having it on if I'm not listening to it is my thinking.

P.S. be sure to post up some pics

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Default Thanks...

Thanks for the reply! This is my first Civic so really excited to have it. The new standard features are pretty cool!

I heard from some that the ECO assist on the latest models was active (perhaps throttle control?) which lead to my question. It's also why I tried shutting it off on the freeway ramp, but if it is passive (just a driving habit feedback device) that may explain also why not change.

The other car is a 1.6L (4 cyl/16v--mebbe 140 hp) SOUL --no turbo or such. Fun little car, but not a performance car at all.

Will need to keep on top--and will post pics sometime (although its a boring old guy car--no slick mods:-)

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 AM

I have afew questions too.
Re: eco assist. I read the owner's manual thoroughly, and it implies A/c performance may be modified for fuel economy. I bet performance may be similarly modified, ie acceleration. Try your accel with it off and on and judge whether you think it changed. I would love to hear back about that!

In reading the manual my lx auto, 2013, has instructions for how to repower the radio after battery exchange. It says how to do it w/o using the security code using i-MID, p 152. It then says to check owner paperwork for the pre-set security code, but I don't have any such. Has anyone tried to find or set a new purchase radio security code? Forget theft, If your battery is changed, you may need one.