Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New civic owner in need of advise from veterans!! Over heating!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Red face New civic GL 1990 2 Door owner in need of advise from veterans!! Over heating!!

First off what an amazing site, I came looking for advise found this site and spent the last 2 hours just reading and looking at what you have all been upto....nice!!
Ok i should start by stating im not a mechanic but know a little about engines.

So my tale of woe, I just moved to perth Australia with my girlfriend and we brought a Renault (or I should say she did) with a head just about to go and quests what? It just went last Friday! So buy buy ****ty car and a whole chunk of our savings!
On the upside a legend of a guy next door has taken pity on us and given me/us a 1990 civic gl 2 door auto.i repeat, legend. Basically it has been sat for nearly three months and the battery is completely dead, so I'm getting a new one tomorrow. Tried charging and jumping but no go. We have been told that the car over heats when sat at lights (old boy said that he put heater on full to cool it down) and he used to have to rev when turning ignition to get it going.
I drain radiator and bleed engine today (have done this before). There was hardly anything in it at all, also radiator top up tank had massive crack so have fixed that up. I have refilled with distilled water and coolant mix and when I get a new battery will start her up, make sure I get all the air out of her check for leaks and see how we go.
What I was after asking for is some advise from those that know if there's anything from I what I have said that I should be looking out for? I've been told if I start her up with no cap on the radiator and that bubbles and spits it could be the head but any Adivice on anything would be very much appreciated!
I've wanted a civic for years and now have one and I intend if I can to fix her up and get her looking and running beautifully. If anyone is interested just let me know, I'm gonna start putting up some photos tomorrow and with a little elbow grease, luck and advise she might be our car for years!!! Cheers guys, from a very proud, novice civic owner!!!

Last edited by gtomg; 06-10-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: more info im title of post!!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Overheating only at stoplights usually is because the radiator fan does not work. When the car is moving the motion pushes air through the radiator and you really don't need a fan.

Though if the system was empty it's clear that he didn't take very good care of it.

If you have the dual carb system instead of fuel injection you're probably going to have to live with needing to manually gas it to prevent stalling. Carb systems never worked very well in the first place, just degrade over time, and parts are likely unobtanium.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

If its a new car, go to the stealership and get them to actually do something for you while you're still under warranty

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Dude, it's a 1990 car that his neighbor had in the yard and gave to him. No warranty I'm sure.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Default lets get the ball rolling......

Originally Posted by mk378
Overheating only at stoplights usually is because the radiator fan does not work. When the car is moving the motion pushes air through the radiator and you really don't need a fan.

Though if the system was empty it's clear that he didn't take very good care of it.

If you have the dual carb system instead of fuel injection you're probably going to have to live with needing to manually gas it to prevent stalling. Carb systems never worked very well in the first place, just degrade over time, and parts are likely unobtanium.
Alright mk378, thanks for the advise. I'm hoping the lack of water in the radiator was down to the system not being sealed (badly cracked water tank) heat and evaporation, but i realise im being very hopefull!

Im going to get the battery now and start her up!! i'll let it idel and wait to see if the fan kicks in? will that let me know if its working/is that the fan you refer to? I assume it is.Also do i need the fan to be working when i let it sit idle to help get air our out the system, i dont think i do just wanted to check? Lastly on the fan.......is changing it a really big job? I have no tools as i just moved her but i will be buying them when and as i need the because lets be honest, who doesn't need tools? If i dont need any thing to professional I'm gonna do as much work on the car as I possibly can!

How would i know if i had a dual card system of injection? I'm going to ask the guy later if he has any idea where the manual for the car is? and see if it lets me know. Please let me know if there is any info on the car I could find look for eg vin numbers, engine reg plates etc that would let me know, or just a part to look ofr under the engine? Fingers crossed its not because from what you have said it looks like that isnt going to get fixed any time soon!!

Lastly, when i try to start her up is there any thing you would recommend doing to help her go? I know i have used that ignition spray years ago to help start an old toyota starlet but to be honest i was just doing what i was told to and have no idea why or what i was really doing?

Thanks for your advise so far, it really is appreciated!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The fuel injected version has the air cleaner next to the battery, with a pipe that goes to a round air box at the top that says "Dual Point Fuel Injection." The carb version has a flat air box at the very back, next to the firewall. Then there are two obvious paths (the carburetors) leading into the engine.

If the car has been sitting for years, the fuel in the tank will go bad. You may need to drain the gas (petrol?) tank to get the stale gas out and replace with fresh. It has a drain plug for this purpose.

Also before cranking the engine it's a good idea to change the oil. Oil can get contaminated with condensed water.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 PM

The fuel injected version has the air cleaner next to the battery, with a pipe that goes to a round air box at the top that says "Dual Point Fuel Injection." The carb version has a flat air box at the very back, next to the firewall. Then there are two obvious paths (the carburetors) leading into the engine.

If the car has been sitting for years, the fuel in the tank will go bad. You may need to drain the gas (petrol?) tank to get the stale gas out and replace with fresh. It has a drain plug for this purpose.

Also before cranking the engine it's a good idea to change the oil. Oil can get contaminated with condensed water.

First off, Thanks for getting back to me, really helpfull!

Ok so, I spoke to the old boy, it has been sat for just under three months, had a oil change within the last year and it had a good amount of fuel (petrol/gas in it (about 1/3) which can only be 3 months old?

The bad news.....its a cv dual carb. But i'm just gonna hope that its still ok. Is there asything i could do to extend its life/give it a pick me up?

The good news.......New battery works a treat, started first time and i gotta say it has a beautiful sound!! Not supped up just a gentle roar : ) I love my new Honda!!!!!!

No leaks in radiator or pipes/hoses, water tank handing fine, so all good so far. Problem is..... I let it tick over for about 10 or 15 minute and the fans never kicked in!! didnt see them turn once!!! I think that's not right, is it? The temperature gauge went upto just under half whilst it was ticking over. I played around with the internal "fan" control and neither fan moved once, hot or cold, internal air recycling or external air use (if you know what i mean by that) don't know its that right or wrong, could you say? But..... when I put the air conditioning on......Hey presto the two fans (there's two on the rear of the radiator) both came on and brought the engine temperature down. Dont know if this is strange though, but the fans both cut out after about 1 or 2 minutes for about 30 seconds and then they kicked back in again.

So from what i have said/seen I'm guessing that the temperature sensor could be playing up? of my fan/fans are working properly. What do you reckon? I'm hoping its the sensor because i reckon i could give that a go and change it, but looking at the fans i'm gonna need quite a few tools lol.

I'm now off for a spin in it carnt resist!!! wont let it get to hot etc, just need to see how she drives and is there are any unmentioned issues!

Again thanks, Hopefully she wont over heat and the radiotor level wa the only real issue.

gtomg

Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Would a photo of the engine help you out at all.
Gtomg

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it does heat up, check if the radiator fans are on and if they are not, engage the A/C to force them on. You can temporarily disconnect the A/C compressor wire to prevent the A/C from actually working (amazing on a free car) and putting additional heat under the hood.

If it's a 16 valve D15B2 engine like mine, the sensor that controls the fans will be screwed into the back of the engine block near the oil filter. It has two wires. (The sensor with one wire near the oil filter controls the "oil" warning light on the dash.)

Once you're sure you're keeping the car, the timing belt should be replaced right away if no one remembers when it was last replaced. A stripped timing belt is very bad.

Last edited by mk378; 06-11-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Default You sir are a legend!!!

Hey, firstly again thank you for our help, invaluable! Your right it was amazing of the guy to give us the car, I was speaking to him outside his place after coming back from work and three bus rides!! and he just said if I wanted to try and get it going I was welcome. I wasn't going to say no, and so far I've been lucky! He does have another car :-)

Ok so......I love my "new" Honda!!!!!!! Took it for a nice tame 20 minute drive and over all I've carn't complain! The engine didn't seem to get to hot only a middle reading on the gauge, but I never really pushed it. Brakes aren't that bad at all. Gave them a couple of good goes and they did the old girl proud! It is a little noisey but in a good way! Exhaust looks pritty much new? With no holes, will have to ask when it was done!

So for the bad....the auto gear box seems a little "heavy" not clunky but deffinately not smooth! Will just have to go gentle with her. I will check the engine model and look for the sensor, would I be able to check if its not working? If so how? Is disconnecting the air con compressor a hard thing to do and why would I only want to do it short term? Just realised ..... I havnt yet checked the fuses, idiot, will do that first thing. Will check about timing belt, just so I know why is that so important and don't worry I'm not going to ask if I could do the work I know my limitations!
So you have a 1990. Gl as well? How do find she goes? Like I. Said I'm so glad with mine (at the moment) just hope she hasn't gone past the point of no return.thanks mate, sorry if I keep on asking questions. I have looked online for answers before bothering you again but it's just a wash of information and 99.9 a waste of time by the end of what I've read. Gonna get her out in sun tommorow give her a wash down and a photo moment! Cheers gtomg

Quick Reply: New civic owner in need of advise from veterans!! Over heating!!