Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new honda guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Question new honda guy needs help

i have recently bout a 92 civic that has a fresh rebuilt d1676 in it the guy said all it needs is a new fuel pump.....i replaced it and it still wont run.....it turns over and fires but wont stay running.... i have checked the timing replaced the plugs changed the fuel filter and still nothing it has me stumped i need help

Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you saying that you have checked that the timing belt has the cam and crank perfectly synchronized at TDC1?

Turn the key to ON(II). Do you hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds?

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

Is the CEL ON?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM

yes i checked the timing belt and did the whole tdc thing and yes i can hear the fuel pump and i have put new spark plugs in it

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the gas in the tank is old and stale, it can be very hard to start. Drain the tank using the drain plug and pour in some fresh gas. Civics are worse than lawn mowers when it comes to trying to run on stale gas.

Make sure the distributor has power (black/yellow wire in the 2 wire plug) with the key on. Sometimes the key switch is bad and it will power up when cranking but die immediately when you release the switch. Also in that case you will notice that after it dies, the oil and charge lights on the dash will not come back on like they should.

Since this is a swap job you need to make sure all the parts match and the harness is done properly so the sensors work. Check the ECU for any codes. I don't know if you could trust the seller's saying that it worked before but then quit because of the "fuel pump".

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to check for spark at the plugs.

1) Buy a spare spark plug and gap it properly.

2) Remove a plug wire from one spark plug and insert the spare plug into the end.

3) While you firmly ground the threads of the plug against the valve cover, have a buddy crank the engine.

4) You should see bright white bluish rather than weak orangish spark at the tip of the plug.

5) Repeat for other three plugs.

If none of the plugs has spare or has weak spark, have the coil and ICM in the distributor tested.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM

it has spark on all cylinders 150 psi compression the timing is right i have checked it several times has fresh gas. im stumped it will run for about 30 seconds and then just dies.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Any codes in the ECU?

When it dies can you restart it immediately, or do you have to turn key off, walk away and let it cool off first?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM

can usually start it right back up but i have been trying to try diffrent things if it dont stay running. i dont know how to check ecu codes on this car. no light on ecu.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the CEL work? If so, you can pull CEL codes using the method detailed at the link in my signature.

Check whether the fuel injectors have battery voltage when the key is turned to ON(II).

Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM

i have checked the cel on the ecu......i have checked all the checks on the distributor and the injectors are getting proper voltage.....im running out of things to check

Quick Reply: new honda guy needs help