Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

no more A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Default no more A/C

hi
car is a 2007 civic LX
I hit a large rock and since then the A/C has stopped working. Dealer says the tubing carrying the freon got messed up and I guess all the fluid leaked out.

Anybody know how to repair this yourself. Or how to access the tubing?
Would the bumper have to be removed?

If anybody has had the same/similar problem any help would be appreciated.

I guess if i knew how to access that bottom part of the front bumper i could better assess the problem and know what I'm dealing with.
Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: no more A/C

well not something you can completly do yourself with charging the system... but you can find the damaged area preaty easily and just replace that section.....

Old 01-19-2008, 03:31 PM

yes that's what i was thinking. The damaged area could either be replaced w/ a rubber hose they sell at auto stores or ferrules and a union.
Ok so how easy is it to reach the damaged area? Would the front bumper need to be removed or is there an easier way to reach the tubing. Not sure if the tubing is metal or not.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think most of the refrigerant tubing is metal, particularly on the underside of the car. Start by raising the front end up on jack stands (block rear tires). Crawl under the car with a good light and carefully inspect all A/C lines running to and from the compressor and condenser. The problem will likely be visible around these components.

When you locate and fix the problem, don't immediately refill with refrigerant. The system must first be evacuated under vacuum to eliminate any water in the system. A small amount of water can destroy the A/C system. If you don't have a vacuum pump, then you may want a professional to do the work.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
gwl
HCF Member

More than likely you will need to go to the dealer and get the part that was damaged. I would think your car is too new to have any parts available somewhere else. Maybe industrial hose shop can fab a part you need.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if ya look around im sure you can find a junk yard that has one car....
it maybe new BUT remember accidents happen all the time! hell some BRAND NEW cars have fallen off the car hauling semis... practicaly ZERO miles but TOTALED.LOL the trick is finding the one hose thats damaged on yours and finding one thats not damaged on the parts vehicle.

good luck BUT i dont see a simple AC line costing that much at all even brand new from dealership... BUT if its your condensor then it might get expensive BUT if its just a line it should be cheap enough.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The lines are not very expensive. Don't try to jury-rig something, it has to be absolutely airtight and the pressure can reach 400 psi.

Did the dealer show you exactly where the leak was? The older models have a black plastic splash shield under the front of the car, it's not part of the bumper. There are several bolts and plastic pins holding it on. It would help to drive the car up on ramps so you can get underneath better.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 AM
gwl
HCF Member

After rereading the original post, maybe the rock hit the condensor coil. I can't think of anything else that a large rock can hit. Usually the condensor, can be replaced from the top.