Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise in 1st and 2nd gear - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Noise in 1st and 2nd gear - HELP

Hey guys, I drive an 05 Civic LX SE with about 83k miles on it. Bought the car with about 35k on it so its safe to assume its the original clutch. Last week I noticed a whirring/purring noise whenever I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. The noise picks up as the RPM go higher and goes away when I'm either in neutral or press down on the clutch. Revving the engine in neutral doesn't produce the noise either.

I've been scouring the internet for a week and I've seen a lot of different opinions for similar problems but I was hoping someone could help diagnose this.. thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by darkside
when I'm either in neutral or press down on the clutch. Revving the engine in neutral doesn't produce the noise either.
when revving in neutral, do you step in the clutch?? At stop in neutral, does it make noise without step in clutch, and if step in clutch neutral or in gear, noise goes away?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

No noise when just sitting in neutral or giving it gas in neutral. I haven't touched the clutch at all in neutral. If I'm driving around in 1st/2nd gear and mash the clutch to drop the RPMs, the noise goes away.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

I am leaning toward your bearing inside of tranny, but not entirely sure..

So when you rolling let say in 2nd gear, you hear grinding noise?.. then step in the clutch while rolling, noise goes away.. rite??

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

Yeah thats exactly what's going on. My stepdad used to be a mechanic so he took it for a drive last night. Said he heard it on 3rd/4th too but I couldn't hear anything.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

Most likely your mainshaft bearing, inside your tranny. Can also be other bearing too, can only tell when open your tranny.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

He thinks it's the throw out (or release?) bearing on the clutch shaft. Does that sound like a possibility? I don't know jack about transmissions, just repeating what he said.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

If it your throwout bearing, it would be the opposite.

Make noise when you step in the clutch, when release clutch, no noise.

Here is a similar post with same issue, I included some old pix of the location of the mainshaft bearing.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...m-sound-90629/

Last edited by droopy128; 09-23-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

Took it to the dealership after work to get their opinion too, the guy said change the tranny fluid and see if that helps. Bought the honda MTF, gonna switch it out and see if that'll work as a cheap fix.. really hopin it does cause I don't know anyone that can work on a tranny and I don't have the cash to pay honda lol. Thanks for all your help, I guess we'll see what happens.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

Ironically enough my main shaft bearing started making noise within days after I switched to Honda MTF. I had been getting my tranny flushed at jiffy lube and I'm sure they used 10w30, not sure if that had anything to do with the bearing noise.

That was about 10,000 miles ago and the noise hasn't gotten any worse so *fingers crossed* it lasts a bit longer. My noise is exactly as you describe, although mine is barely noticeable under normal acceleration.

When the bearing starts making noise whenever the clutch is out, even at idle, its time to replace it. Until then just be nice to the tranny and hope it holds out until you have the $$ to fix it.

You figure Honda would at least help us out a bit, this is a VERY common problem with our manual transmissions and it's not a cheap fix labor wise.

Last edited by anibis; 09-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Noise in 1st and 2nd gear - HELP