Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Non stop wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Default Non stop wipers

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPP!!!!!! For some reason my wipers will not stop running. I have no clue when or why this happened, but let me give you the details: I came home and sat in my car listening to the radio, the engine was off it was only one click down from the engine running. I started the car back up again to move my car and the wipers started going!! I tried jiggling the wiper switch in all directions, nothing worked. So I tried slaming the steering wheel adjustment up and down violently. Still nothing. The only thing that worked was when I pulled the fuse. I don't see rain in the near future, So I'm not in a hurry to fix it, but it would be comforting to have it fixed. Thanks, in advance to all with input.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Default RE: Non stop wipers

i'm looking at the wiring diagram for 1993 civic and similar models, here's what i've found:
the wiper switch and wiper motor share the #14 fuse(which you pulled), so there's a short either at the motor or the switch which makes the thing run non-stop.
so now to troubleshoot, since you slammed the steering wheel adjustment up and down and the darn thing still didn't turn off,
you can rule out.... well you can't really rule out the switch. :P
seriously, get a haynes or a chilton's repair manual, a multimeter, and a shot of patience.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Non stop wipers

Oddly enough, I put the fuse back in and it works fine now. any ideas as to that?!?!?!?!