Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Not sure what to do with my d16y7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Not sure what to do with my d16y7 engine

I currently own a '99 civic lx with a d16y7 engine.

The problems with it started a few months ago when I went to go get an oil change. I hadn't gotten an oil change in about 6,000 miles and after I got it changed they said no oil came out of the pan when they went to change it. This was at a honda dealership and they told me to check the oil once a week and top it off if it started getting low. I wasn't leaking any oil, but they said I could be burning it up.

I was getting ready for another oil change and I brought it down to another honda dealership and told them about the problem. I hadn't been checking the oil every week but before I went to the dealership, I checked the oil and it was barely showing on the dip stick. They said they would do some compression test and high pressure leak test or something to see if anything was wrong.

When they called me back they said that I would either need to buy another used honda engine or rebuild the engine I have now. $1,500 for a used engine including labor and like $3,500 for rebuilding including labor and parts.

Now I had been getting parts for a y8 head mini-me swap already before I brought it down there. I pretty much have all the parts for it except for a full gasket set for everything.

I have a friend who said he could do the mini-me swap for me, but he said that swapping the head won't change anything if what honda says is true. He said that I could buy a d15b(not sure which one) engine off one of his friends for $200 and then bolt the y8 head onto that.

But I was looking on ebay and there was this rering engine kit for $180.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

I asked my friend if I could use that and he said it would work, but that it would be easier to just use the d15b block.

I'm not too sure what to do. Should I just keep the block and buy the rering kit or buy the whole other engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Chubby Chaser

well if you hone the cyl and put new rings in it you know it will be done and ready, now if you buy another engine it might have bad rings also, i say pull head off and go ahead and hone cyl's and put new rings then install the vtec head, buy a y8 head gasket kit its the cheapest and also gives more compression,

Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Burning one quart of oil over 3000 miles is nothing to worry about. Just keep adding some between oil changes. When it gets to where it smokes a lot and use a quart of oil every 500 miles, your engine is worn out and you need to do something.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
well if you hone the cyl and put new rings in it you know it will be done and ready, now if you buy another engine it might have bad rings also, i say pull head off and go ahead and hone cyl's and put new rings then install the vtec head, buy a y8 head gasket kit its the cheapest and also gives more compression,
Someone on another forum told me I can't use the d16y8 rering engine kit because the pistons are different, is that true?

So then I would have to buy this one right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...item2c4e28ce77

Also it comes with a full head gasket set, so I wouldn't have to buy it. Everything would be right there.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 AM
HCF Member

Be careful what you buy on eBay. Check with a local auto parts store and see what they would charge you for the parts. Look at my signature

Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Default JIS engine

go to www.jisengine.com for Honda parts. I have purchased rings and bearings and stuff from them and always found the parts to be good quality and quite reasonably priced.

Last edited by gjb149; 11-03-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Who the hell told you $1500 for engine and install? WTF? Its a plug and play drop! Found for $475 plus S&H. Comes with everything, including a start up warranty.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30023
I've had a buddy use them before, and they were great.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

I don't get it, why does it say SOHC then Non-vtec in the description. I thought the SOHC was vtec?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Chubby Chaser

no there is nonvtec and there is vtec...d16y8 is vtec, d16y7 is NOT vtec. do you even know what vtec is?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
HCF Member

You said you had a d16y7. The y7 is not vtec. Are you sure of your motor?

Quick Reply: Not sure what to do with my d16y7 engine