Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Default Odd Noise

Got my car back in Feb this year. It's a 93 DX and i noticed that it has an odd sound coming from the engine. Oil and everything is fine, but had my brother look at it, and he said that it sounds like the tensioner? Said he didn't even see one. Doesn't it have to have one to run? Then there's the not wanting to get up and go at all thing. Mainly going up a hill. It fights to just get up a little hill. And now it has what seems like a Carburetor chug in the engine. It doesn't even have a carb! More or less, I know it's flooding itself, but the question is why. We're trying to avoid taking it to a Honda dealer. Not my car, but if you listen close in this video when he starts it, you can hear a whirrrrrrrr, sound coming from the engine. It sounds exactly like mine(minus the turbo sound). That's my main concern with the car is the Whirring sound. It starts at 0:40 and clearest point is when he hushes at 0:43. Please help! I don't want to have to say take her away, or sell her because I can't get it fixed! And now, when you "floor it!" it should be kicking into overdrive, and it's not. And it is automatic.

Last edited by SilverWolf1993; 07-23-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take off the belts for the alternator, A/C and power steering (if equipped) and spin those parts by hand, they should be quiet. Then start the engine with the belts off and see if the noise is still there.

What did you "get the car back" from? A timing belt job? Overtightening the belt will make a whirring noise. And putting it on wrong (or having it right, but worn out and it skips a tooth) will cause lousy performance like you describe. The tensioner is under the plastic cover; it spins from the timing belt.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM

I didn't get my car back from anything. That's when I bought it. Thank you for the reply, and the information to start checking things. It is very much appreciated.