Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil burning - Still scratching my head..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Oil burning - Still scratching my head..

I know, repeat post. But this has still got me scratching my head.

I can live with checking the oil level, but I need to understand the why or how I'm burning it.

New valve seals, 180psi on comression test (dry) all cylinders, car runs great and averages 35-40mpg.

But I'm burning oil. Some trips I use next to none, others I use damn near a half quart in 100 miles! Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the madness.
  • On acceleration, after around 4000rpm and higher RPM's I see a blue haze in my rear view.
  • There's a big hill by my house with a stop sign at the bottom. No matter how lightly you accelerate from the stop sign, it always produces a nice blue cloud.
  • Breather tube is clean, new PCV valve. Installed a oil seperator in the PCV line. Nothing excessive collecting in there.
  • Usage seems to be lesser with heavier weight oil.

Is it the oil control rings, or the new valve seals? Or am I missing something obvious here?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you inspected the plugs? Are specific cylinders burning oil? Have you tried a cylinder leak down test?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:03 AM
HCF Member

The plugs are all clean looking, no residue and a nice healthy color.

Didn't try the leakdown test because I got what seemed to be pretty good results on the compression test.

Soon as this rain gives in, I'll rent the tester and give it a try.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

Still trying to track down the tool. I thought autozone rented them, but they don't. Nobody I know has one either.

A buddy of mine insists it's the oil control rings. Said it's pretty common on Honda's for them to leak.

I'm gonna get some fittings and regulator from lowes tonight and try to make my own tester..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm kind of puzzled by your seemingly contradictory observations that the engine is burning oil but the spark plugs look fine???

Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I'm guessing you don't have any major oils leaks. Sounds you like have some bad rings.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I'm kind of puzzled by your seemingly contradictory observations that the engine is burning oil but the spark plugs look fine???
It's got me too. I got some piece parts together tonight, weather permitting I'll do the leakdown tomorrow and post up the results. I'll try to snap a few pics of the plugs too..

[edit]
Here's the plans I'm basing my leakdown tester on. Instead of gutting a spark plug, I'm using the hose and fittings from my compression tester.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot.../leakdown.html

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

Well, I don't know how accuracte my tester is but I'm seeing roughly 15% across all four cylinders.

On all 4 cylinders I can hear the leakage going into the crankcase.

I redid my compression test while I was at it and got 178-180 across all four again..

Here are the plugs. Sorry for the low quality, I didn't realize my camera lens was smudged until I was done and back inside. :/

Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

plugs look fine so the rings should be okay as well does it start to rattle after 4000 rpms or when u rev in place does it sometimes back fire it could be a Catalyst converter thats combusted (to old)

Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

also is that one plug in the same pics and do they all look lik that? if so are they lik that after cupple days of driving if so then the rings have to be fine wat kinda smok is it a darker black lightish black/grey or a blueish

Quick Reply: Oil burning - Still scratching my head..