Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil light

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Default oil light

allllllrighty gentlemen and ladies for the past 2 days my oil light has flashed randomly on and right back off. i have looked alllll over the place and i dont see any oil anyways. when the light first came on i immediatly turned my car off and pulled over to check it out. it also seems to come on when i push the brake pedal randomly.157k miles it also is time for me to do an oil change. i just wanna make sure its not something really terrible. is it possibly maybe a wireing short?

ok also when i start it up and let it run the oil splashes around. turn it off take the dipstick out and there is oil. wipe the dipstick off i then insert the dipstick back in and pull it out and there is no oil on the dipstick at all.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: oil light

ORIGINAL: Roadkillboy0

wipe the dipstick off i then insert the dipstick back in and pull it out and there is no oil on the dipstick at all.

that is not "slightly low but normal" -- if you don't see a leak, it's probably burning oil slowly. You'll need to keep an eye on the oil level more carefully.

is the light coming on in turns? you're probably starving the oil pickup when the oil all sloshes to one side.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM

so since it comes on at turns it means i dont have much oil. also is there a way to solve my burning oil problem because i have never noticed smoke coming out of my exhaust

Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to add some oil now! There isn't enough oil to reach the pump, which means there is almost none. Don't drive at all if the light comes on, there will be severe engine damage.

Check the oil with the engine stopped. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it off, then put it back and take it out again and take your reading.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 AM

well i found out today my car burns a holy sh*t load of oil. its time for an oil change and i had to put 2 ful quarts of oil just so i could get oil to touch the bottom of the dipstick.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

One quart per 1000 - 1500 miles is not unusual especially if you drive hard. You just have to check it and maybe add some between oil changes. Hopefully further damage has not been done by almost running out lately.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

dude add oil now, that light only comes on at like 6psi or lower of oil pressure which is right at blowing your **** up.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM

allright so i added 2 quarts of oil this morning and im full of oil now. now what do i need to check to make sure i didnt do any damage. the light only turned on when i was turning hard.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Roadkillboy0

allright so i added 2 quarts of oil this morning and im full of oil now. now what do i need to check to make sure i didnt do any damage. the light only turned on when i was turning hard.

Well, you could tear your engine apart and check your bearings....

Did you notice any big chunks of metal coming out with the oil???

Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 AM

nah i still have to change the oil today but im not gonna drive it till i change the oil. my brother heard a loud knock sound but my car drove fine and the light wasnt on at the time. the knock sound came from the back of the car but it was loud as hell

Quick Reply: oil light