Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil on Spark plug tips/car wont start? What does this mean/Mess of Trouble????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Default Oil on Spark plug tips/car wont start? What does this mean/Mess of Trouble????

Im sure im in a mess of trouble. But here goes, "Car wont start" ins the topic under"General Civic Talk". Now im at the point where i ran a compression test and readings were 130-150 PSI turning on car for like 2-3 seconds. What me and my buddy noticed was some oil on the tips of the spark plugs where spark comes from. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN... we looked at each other and knew i was in a mess of trouble. Thanks ahead of time

Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Default RE: Oil on Spark plug tips/car wont start? What does this mean/Mess of Trouble????

You just need a new valve cover gasket. The kit comes with the valve cover gasket (of course) and 4 rubber inserts and 4 brass washers, for the valve cover bolts. This will solve the oil on the wires problem.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Oil on Spark plug tips/car wont start? What does this mean/Mess of Trouble????

I see what you are saying now... The oil isn't on the wires its on the spark plug itself... My bad. Oil is leaking past the valve guides or piston rings.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Forgot to say that when i saw the vehicle i went ahead and added a little oil, I overfilled it though so i was told that this is actually normal having a little oil on the spark plug tips whenyou overfill.

Im just throwing in the cards and taking it for a diagnostic at Honda for $138.00 set price crap. They will find the problem but im hoping its not something serious because as soon as it runs im selling that ****.
The Japanese cars of the 70's and 80s were battle tanks these 90's and 00's are crap. They just dont make cars like they used too which is ridiculous. I dont know what it is but Honda has gone down the Drain. Im praying my 2005 1000rr CBR is better built than that piece of crap of a car. Never again!! FK Honda its just adding to the american standard of building something to last for 5 years so you can service and keep the economy going which is bullsh*t , I dont buy Crap.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

Many people do not have problems with Hondas for hundreds of thousands miles. I understand your frustration, but your conclusions seems to be without merit.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:02 AM

Merit? What i see is all these new vehicles being built like crap. WHY? I remember the days that vehicles could last 120,000+ with absolutely NO maintenance other than oil change. You absolutely DID NOT have to baby these cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cars are just built pathetic now a days. COST EFFECTIVE= JUNK.... give me a 50's caddilac from CUBA probably last longer than this Junk car. All mods are electric so YOU HAVE to take it to the dealer so they can get their cut..... Its the american way. Nuff said

Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

I beat the everything out of my '93 Civic, and I have no problems outside of my current issue of rubber deterioration! I ran Sea Foam through the engine the other day and all indications say it's clean!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM

My 96 Civic, has 164K on the original engine, suspension and most everything else, aside from brakes, oil changes and tune ups. Belive it or not, that is EXCEPTIONAL for any other car line (maybe toyota). My cousin's 2001 Malibu on the other hand, threw a rod at 50,000 even tho it had maintainace like clockwork. Civics are one of the most reliable cars EVER made! There are people on this board with 400K! Maybe overfilling your engine is a design fault.....?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Don't be so frustrated man. Just because you're engine has a couple worn parts doesn't mean everything Honda makes is junk.
I have an '88 LX with almost 300,000 mileson the odometer and it starts up in 15 degree weather like a new car. I've been a hardcore Ford fan since I can remember and have driven only trucks for a long time. But I found this 'lil car for $500 awhiles back and it's been a great car for how long it's been run and it still refuses to die.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

I had one from 80's, and I have one from 90's and one from 00's. Don't see any difference in terms of quality.

Quick Reply: Oil on Spark plug tips/car wont start? What does this mean/Mess of Trouble????