Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil in the sparkplug hole!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
HCF Member
Default oil in the sparkplug hole!

Ok as you might know from my prior post I am attempting to replace my sparkplugs today. I followed everyones advice and got through 2 sparkplugs with no problems. But when I got to the 2nd from the left one and removed the wire from the hole it had alot of oil in it. Not full to the top but enough that I could see it. I tried to get the plug out but it wouldn't move and I didn't want to force it so I just left it in there, with the oil.
The car started up fine....no studdering no staling nothing, just like normal. I didn't drive it yet thouth.

What will I have to do now? Please tell me this isn't goning to cost me an arm and a leg!

Thanks!
j

Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: oil in the sparkplug hole!

sound like u need a valve cover gasket---the kit comes with new plug seals

as far as trying to get the plug --try to run the engine & get hot then try agian

Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Should I replace the plug even though the hole is full of oil? or wait until I replace the valve cover gasket?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:47 PM

to get you by for now, i'd wait until you get the gasket kit. if it runs ok for now, you should be fine until you get the kit. it's also easy to install. try a breaker bar after warming the car up. if that doesn't work, then try it when it's stone cold.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

Ok thanks guys....whew...Not as bad as I thought. I think this gasket was replaced a couple years ago. What would make it go bad like this again so soon?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

tuttle is right. try it with the engine warmed up first. something else you can try, but please be very careful, apply pressure like you are tightening it. only just enough to move it, not even 1/8th a turn. just barely. sometimes that will be what it needs to break it loose then you should be able to loosen it on out fairly easily.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 PM

i forgot about tweaking it tighter first. good call.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

Hey guys....will I have more power once this is all fixed? Is that cylinder that has the oil in the spark plug hole actually working properly?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

It should work properly. Depending on what year car you have (96+) if your car was misfiring, it would set a code. My mom's car does the same thing, cylinder #1 has oil in the hole. It is driving me nuts, i changed the gasket and it still leaks. Now i'm thinking that the valve cover is cracked or something. I changed all the gaskets and it still leaks. So either i didn't install the gasket correctly or the cover is cracked. Don't feel like askin my dad for the money for a new cover so ill leave it leaking.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

its a 95 lx with 140k miles on it. Runs really nicely, never misfired, no smoke, no rough idle and I get great milage out of it still, around 36mpg...so I was pretty surprised when all that oil came out of the hole! I didn't expect it at all.

Quick Reply: oil in the sparkplug hole!