Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OK, Here's a question about Starters.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 PM
HCF Member
Default OK, Here's a question about Starters.

I have a '92 Civic LX with 186,000 miles(automatic).
Yesterday I was having problems starting my Civic, It would crank but not start. I tried starting it about 7 more times & all it did was crank(I even stepped on the gas). I thought it might be the starter, so I had a friend hit the starter a few times with a rubber hammer while I try to start the car & the car strained alittle but it started!

So next day(today) I got to Autozone to get a NEW Starter. Installed it easy but it took FOREVER to start..I cranked it 18-20 times in a 2-hour period(this time includes checking the starter wires, battery power, & spark plug wires). I really didn't adjust anything..nothing felt or looked loose & I put everything back correctly(double checked behind my double checks).

But anyway...I wanna know from your OWN experiences...How many times do you have to crank a car to start it after you installed a new Starter(Motor & solenoid)?

According to the instructions that came with the Starter, it should take 3 tries, but after that you have to start troubleshooting.
Dizzy is new, Main relay new, New plugs, new plug wires, No CEL, & I hear the fuel pump prime every time loud & clear.
So why did it take so much cranking for my car to start up?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

How many times should you have to crank a car to start it after you installed a new starter?
Once.

Something else is wrong with your car. When the engine turns normally like it should be about to start, the starter is OK. It was just coincidence that it started that one time after hitting the starter.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

Oh..I forgot to say..My car did startup eventually(with new starter). I rode it home..waited about an hour..started it up again & it came on strong! Turned it off..started it again..strong again.
Waited another hour...started it up to make sure all is good..same results(strong startup).

I guess I have magic a wrench with with special dispensable magic dust included :P

Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

A bad starter would be slow to crank or clicking or nothing if is spun over fine then you had a problem else where cranking it numerous times like you did prob caused the old one to go out, if it dont start after 15 secs let the starter cool for a few min before trying to crank it again it may have just been a loose connection, and to answer your ? about how many times it should take to start an engine after a new one is installed is this. If you have a new one installed and you turn the key to start the engine it should fire up right away