Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ok i think i have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
HCF Member
Default ok i think i have a problem

so my 94 civics not getting spark and the fuel pump isnt priming. i thought it was the main relay and my check engine light is on but when i go to pull the CEL code the CEL just stays solid and doesnt flash. is there any reason it would have no spark or power to fuelpump and no CEL code?

Last edited by cfrank9689; 11-18-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

ok so i just found this and i think thats my problem. 0 (defined by CEL remaining on steady both without and with the service connector jumped) - indicates ECU power or ground problem when engine will not start; begin by checking the three main relay fuses and the G101 ground attached to the thermostat housing.
where are the 3 fuses? i found 1 under the hood but idk where the other 2 are

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

can anyone help he out. im kind of stumped

Old 11-20-2010, 10:57 AM

you got me, sorry wish I knew.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

ok so i pulled my battery to charge it and wanted to check something so i hooked my jump pack and i heard the fuel pump kick on. so i tested it 3 times with the jump pack and all 3 times the pump came on. then i put the battery back in and turned the key and the fuel pump did not come on. so i unhooked the battery and reconnected the jump pack and sure enough the fuel pump comes on. could a bad battery cause it to have no spark or power to fuel pump??

Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Measure the voltage from your battery. If less than 12.6 after charging it, replace.

Did you check the ground wires?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

i checked the ground for the battery removed it and cleaned it up, checked removed and cleaned the ecu ground on the thermostat housing. is there any others to check?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
July 2010 ROTM

If ur cel stays on, it could still possibly be ur main relay. U have to listen for the relay "popping" under the dash near ur left knee. It will pop three times if its good. Once when u initially turn the key, once when the fuel pump primes, and once when power is sent to starter solenoid. Listen closely, and search main relay using our search function to find out more. Would do it for u but im on my droid and its very tedious...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

Can you jump it to get it started? if so take it over to a auto parts store and have them check the battery. My civic started having starting problems. Then it wouldst start at all. But the lights would go on and the key chime would work. It confused the hell out of me. I would jump it and it would run fine but as soon as I turned it off after any amount of time it wouldn't start back up. Took it to a parts store and they did a FREE battery test. Turns out I had a bad cell in it and it was only putting out a little over 9 volts. So I got a new yellow top and she started up like a champ! hope that helps.

Last edited by blackopsalpha; 11-22-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by blackopsalpha
Can you jump it to get it started? if so take it over to a auto parts store and have them check the battery. My civic started having starting problems. Then it wouldst start at all. But the lights would go on and the key chime would work. It confused the hell out of me. I would jump it and it would run fine but as soon as I turned it off after any amount of time it wouldn't start back up. Took it to a parts store and they did a FREE battery test. Turns out I had a bad cell in it and it was only putting out a little over 9 volts. So I got a new yellow top and she started up like a champ! hope that helps.
would this cause it to not get spark aswell. because my charger brought up an error code for a bad cell in the battery so maybe the spark problem is because the engine isnt turning over enough? or not enough power to power the MSD blaster ss coil i got?

Quick Reply: ok i think i have a problem