Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OMG!! DUM MECHANIC!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM
HCF Member
Default OMG!! DUM MECHANIC!!!!!

i was told by a mechanic that was working on my car that he might of accidently dropd a small screw in the engine...i asked how that happen and he said .....valvcover was off and he had accidently broken a vlcover bolt so he was trying to use a screw to get the bolt piece out.... he then said it slippd and ended up falling down into one of the holes on the head that lead down...the oil feed hole. acroding to him it would just drop to my oil pan and stay ther........i got home ok but dont wanna run it anymore cuz dunno what the screw might jam...any hints on howw to get it out

Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: OMG!! DUM MECHANIC!!!!!

Drain the oil and see if the screw comes out with the oil, if not then take the pan off and look in it.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

Let me get this straight......

You paid a guy to work on your car.

He dropped a screw into the engine...

You were okay with it and drove the car home? Um, take it back maybe?

Old 12-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Let me get this straight......

You paid a guy to work on your car.

He dropped a screw into the engine...

You were okay with it and drove the car home? Um, take it back maybe?
I had the same initial reaction...but then I wondered whether you'd ever want this mechanic to touch the car again.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

Regardless, I wouldnt DRIVE it home, let alone start it up. Just because a mech drops a nut doesnt mean hes a bad mech, he just needs to be more careful. Hell, I do all the work on my cars, and Ive dropped a bolt or 2 before, just not into the engine lol.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

I think he is a stand up guy for telling you he did it. I guaranty most mechanics wouldn't have said anything so if something goes wrong you couldn't hold them responsible.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I definitely give the mechanic credit for honesty; however, I think he showed a complete lack of judgment in being okay with the idea of driving the car home.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

well i held back from going off on him and he already had the engine going .... again evrything seemd ok but now i realy don wanna take it back to him....shouldve left it ther to begin with and had the guy take it out, i understand that is my fault but.....i had been waiting for so long o get my car back etc..... ill try the oil pan see if its ther

Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

Yeah that sucks.....
I hope the screw will show when you drain out the OIL.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 AM
HCF Member

argh...i took off the pan and found the screw in it...luckily.....but after i put it back on my car wont kick over. it just keeps cranking. well it id start for a few seconds but died out almost imediatly...lol now i think i need another mechanic. funny hting is smog time is coming up and im gonna have to register my car as inoperative till i figure out whats wrong now

Quick Reply: OMG!! DUM MECHANIC!!!!!