Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out with the auto in with the manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
HCF Member
Default out with the auto in with the manual

hi, i have a ej2 in otherwords a 94 coupe.
i've recently got hold of a nicely tuned d16z engine with manual box attached, i have the ecu, loom, shift linkages, shafts etc. i'm currently running a d15y7 with an auto box, but need a little advise on whats needed to set up the hydraulic clutch, i would like to start the conversion in a week or 2, i've had people suggesting that i simply buy a manual to swap the engine into, but i love my coupe and manual ones are hard to find in the uk in good condition.
many thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

I agree. It would be so much easier to just buy a new car and swap the engine. On the other hand, a big project like that is fun to do. I'm not experienced in how to do this for a Honda. But shoot. If you're gonna dive into this. Why not get real crazy and turn the car into a rear wheel drive coupe?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The clutch is a simple bolt-on. You need the pedal assembly, master cylinder, hydraulic line, etc. Find the blank plate next to the brake booster with two bolts. That's where the clutch master cylinder goes.

The shifter is the same way. The holes for it are already in the floor of the car.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

right! i see, the master cylinder.. the clutch hydraulics use the same fluid as the breaking system, makes perfect sense. i have the new engine and gear box as one with everything attached ready to drop in, i've got to install the new loom + ecu, so once i get hold of the pedals and master cylinder i should be ready to go.
thanks for the heads-up mk, your a legend!
by the way what sort of power gains should i expect from this conversion, d15y to d16z.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM

well d16y7 has 108hp stock (i think), and the d16z6 has 125hp. you will gain ~17hp at the crank.
at the wheels is another story, because you are changing the transmission. an auto loses more power from the crank to the wheels than a manual does. i'm not sure what you have at the wheels now and what the z6 has at the wheels. at the wheels you should expect probably a 20hp gain over your past setup or maybe more.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

nice one for the info, 20hp isn't bad over all, the d16z engine i have has recently been rebuilt with high compression pistons and has had bit of head work. should have a bit more poke than my old engine. plus, i went to a breakers yard today and have the clutch setup, the clocks and rear disc brakes to replace the drums for that extra stop, will start the conversion tomorrow

Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

good luck!
i hate the performance of a automatic honda! my 99ex automatic sucks compared to my 96dx manual!
i originaly wanted to just swap the 5speed parts onto my 99ex BUT the 96dx manual looked to good to scrap so im repairing it.
the manual 5speed feels so much more powerful and controllable! i love it most the time. just not in heavy traffic jams.LOL

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's definitely worth doing. I think you will be pleased with the higher performance.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

i did a tranny swap on my d16z6 in the winter... the parts you need:

transmission
shift linkage
pedal assembly (you can just bolt on a clutch pedal but the brake will be close to the clutch, thats what i did, works fine)
clutch master cylinder
slave cylinder
clutch
flywheel
flywheel bolts
steel lines
flex line at the end
flywheel dust shield (auto and manual are different)
custom transmission mount (you cannot use the mount from your auto, unless you re-weld the bracket to the frame in the correct location)
*i have a custom mount if you need it*

since you are also upgrading your engine you also need the wiring harness, and a p28 manual ecu.

i think thats everything you need.

edit:

you will also need to run some wires... one is for the reverse lights, the other is for the clutch safety switch. the reverse lights runs from the tranny to the plug that the auto shifter was plugged into, and the safety switch is from the clutch pedal switch to the already stated plug from the auto (right where the center console meets the carpet)

Last edited by mcmichael13; 08-07-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by mcmichael13
since you are also upgrading your engine you also need the wiring harness
he doesn't need the wiring harness but it would make things a lot easier. it'll just cost more. if you don't get the wiring harness you'll need an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness for the ECU end of the wiring, some custom wiring at the distributor, and you'll need to run your own VTEC wires.

not criticizing your comment, just adding to it so there's another option for him

Quick Reply: out with the auto in with the manual