Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Oxidizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Default Paint Oxidizing

I have oxidizing paint on the roof of my car near the sunroof and I was wondering if theres any kinda thing that will get that **** away...Is there any kinda cream/wax u can put on it that will take it away...?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Paint Oxidizing

Some pics would help...

In the link below, scroll down to the section on Oxidation... In this article they used Klasse all in one which works miracles on oxidation but you have to order it over the web. (at least in myarea)You could use Meguiars Scratch X (Wal-Mart) for minor oxidation... 3M Perfect it II (NAPA Auto Parts) for medium oxidation, Meguiar's Diamond Cut (Pep Boys) for heavier oxidation...

Apply by hand with a clean terry cloth or microfiber
If you have a buffer, hit it with a wool pad and follow up with medium cut pad, then light cut pad, andpolishing pad. (Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to start with a medium or light cut etc.)

Severe oxidation can be removed with sandpaper, but I wouldn't advise attempting that... Good luck

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...nt-clinic.html

This actually belongs in the "Detailing" section if one of the mods would be so kind as to move it there.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM

I think the oxidation is really heavy.. lemme upload pics..

Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 PM

I tried Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor just to check it out... and it removed it completely temporarily and came back after...maybe I gotta use something stronger...

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

From the pics, I'd say that'swell beyond what anything can fix besides a repaint...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM

k... whats the strongest thing I can use to fix Oxidation? ill try it and if it doesnt work Ill just repaint it..

Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

The most aggressive approach toward any paint defect is wetsanding... That oxidation has eaten pretty far down into the paint. Paint correction isremoving paint. The objective is to remove the bad paint from the surface until you get down to good paint... but like I said, that oxidation is pretty deep and removing what paint you have left will more than likely go into bare metal.

2000/2500 grit wet sandingusing a rubber sanding block, follow up with polishes as I stated in the earlier post. And if I were you, I wouldn't attempt that until I actually had money for a repaint ready to go. 9 times out of 10 you will have to... Best of luck to you bro... [8D]

Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jake11375

The most aggressive approach toward any paint defect is wetsanding... That oxidation has eaten pretty far down into the paint. Paint correction isremoving paint. The objective is to remove the bad paint from the surface until you get down to good paint... but like I said, that oxidation is pretty deep and removing what paint you have left will more than likely go into bare metal.

2000/2500 grit wet sandingusing a rubber sanding block, follow up with polishes as I stated in the earlier post. And if I were you, I wouldn't attempt that until I actually had money for a repaint ready to go. 9 times out of 10 you will have to... Best of luck to you bro... [8D]
+1, the oxidation looks pretty deep, looks like mine before i repainted it lol

Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

I dont want to sand it.... wats the strongest under sanding..like which liquid/polish would best work..?

Quick Reply: Paint Oxidizing