Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

passenger window won't roll down

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Default passenger window won't roll down

When i got my 96 civic i was told the passenger window worked just needed a switch...it was rolled up so i figured it was no big deal because it was winter. As it got warm i was driving hit the switch by mistake and it went down...i was ecstatic! Didn't last long...some days it would work others it didn't. So...i figured the regulator was shot so i bought a new one and two switches for each door. I swapped them and still the same problem...the window worked while i was adjusting the glass...lubed the window channel...rolled it up...won't come down...no movement whatsoever...am i missing something!?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Broken wires in a door harness can do that. It's almost always the driver's door since it gets opened and closed a lot more than the passenger door.

Test at the motor if it is getting voltage when you press the button. If it does then there's a mechanical problem with the regulator etc. being stuck, or the motor is bad. If the car is not supplying power to the motor then it's of course an electrical problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks a lot...i've been out sweating it in 100 degree temps pulling the regulator back out so i can at least have the window out! I used my test light and the wires are getting power to the switch even when i press the switch down...so i'm assuming it's the ground from the driver's side...is there any easy way to access the harness other than taking the door off? Looks like the fender has to come off...oh...btw...the regulator is brand new