Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PCV Valve and Hose - 94 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Default PCV Valve and Hose - 94 Honda Civic

Hello. I just replace my head gasket, water pump, and timing belt on my 1994 Honda Civic with the help of my step dad. When trying to re-hook the pcv valve hose back, it split in half. I can't figure out how to remove the piece of hose that is still connected to the pcv valve. By attempting to remove the pcv valve I think I cracked the top of it, so that will need replacing also. Does anyone know how to remove the pcv valve also? Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

I did some running around today and ended up completing the job.

I got the old PCV valve off by hammering it through the manifold with a old flat head screwdriver. It was my only option because the elbow broke when I tried to pull it out. Got a new PCV valve from Advance ($3) and a new PCV hose from a honda dealership ($8).

A honda tech told me to replace the coupling that connects to the box but instead of spending $4, I cleaned mine out. After removing the old pcv valve, I first connected the hose to the box under the air intake manifold , then I put dish liquid soap on the grommet that is on the hose to make it easier to fit in the manifold hole. I then installed the new PCV valve. I could feel under from the top but I had to remove one bracket, you can get to the PCV hose from the bottom but I couldn't get much leverage. It was a pretty simple job after I removed the old PCV valve.

These pictures are of my old PCV hose split in two, a diagram I edited and a new pcv valve (they are not all the same color). My old PCV hose was dry rotted and very clogged, so I'm glad it split because it needed replaced.

I hope this could help you out. I'm no expert, just work on my car when it breaks down. Its a 94 honda civic, ex coupe with 248,000 miles on it. I got it when it had 214,000 miles. Thanks for looking.