Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PLEASE HELP Possible blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Default PLEASE HELP Possible blown head gasket?

I have a 1997 Civic EX 5spd -- I've been getting less power it seems for a while now and my engine loses oil rather quickly. Oil seems to be leaking down from where the head gasket would be (at the front of the block) --- and one of my lifters or valves is clicking very loudly (even after I top off the oil), it's gotten to the point now that I don't have enough power to get up my driveway. Is it a blown head gasket? What else should I do to diagnose this problem?

[UPDATE] Okay so we took the valve cover and the head off. The head gasket seems intact, and we think the head may be warped; we also find that one of the plugs won't come out, is stuck in the head, reinforcing our theory about the warped head. The most bizarre development came when I drained by oil and took the filter off -- my oil filter that I've had on for four thousand miles is perfectly clean, no sign of oil inside, is practically brand new. I know for a fact that oil is continuing to circulate throughout the engine, as the oil leakage is up around the head gasket, and when the valve cover was removed, there was oil pooling around the rocker arms: this leads me to believe that the oil pump is functioning. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think I may have a clogged oil channel?

Last edited by michaeldg; 03-04-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the oil is coming from above where the manifold attaches, that is just the valve cover gasket. Also the VTEC solenoid on the back (intake side) of the head can blow a gasket and leak oil severely.

The engine does not have hydraulic lifters. The rocker arms must be adjusted manually periodically to compensate for wear, which will reduce clicking noise.

I'd start by disconnecting the fuel injectors one at a time with the engine idling, to see if all 4 cylinders are working.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:38 AM

I found it. I'll share my discovery so all will know. On the left side of the cylinder head is a black plug abut the size of a silver dollar. Time and engine heat dries out this plastic plug and then it leaks. $3-$4 at the local auto parts store.