Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ploblems with my turbocharged Si

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
HCF Member
Default ploblems with my turbocharged Si

the problem is that my car smokes just after 7500 rpm, but in the morning when i turn it on theres no smoke or anything like that, and it smokes from the valve cover all time when I take off the hose that goes to the charge pipe...
what could be the problem?
thanks for your help!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the PCV valve. There should be negative pressure in the crankcase at idle unless the rings are really bad. And if they were that bad you'd have oil smoke all the time in ordinary driving, not just at redline.

Are you sure it's not smoking all the time? Have someone follow you in another car and watch. What color is the smoke? If it's black (from gas), not gray (from oil), it's running too rich and need to have the ECU re-tuned.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Check the PCV valve. There should be negative pressure in the crankcase at idle unless the rings are really bad. And if they were that bad you'd have oil smoke all the time in ordinary driving, not just at redline.

Are you sure it's not smoking all the time? Have someone follow you in another car and watch. What color is the smoke? If it's black (from gas), not gray (from oil), it's running too rich and need to have the ECU re-tuned.
yes Im sure that it only smokes after 7000 or 7500 rpm from the exhaust and its white color and smokes from the valve cover all time.
my car its been smoking since last week...
help please!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

im thinking its a blown head gasket but i could be wrong because you say the smoke comes from under the hood. check for leaks of some kind. keep us updated...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

white smoke is coolant so maybe a small crack in the head or gasket, at high rpms it could be pushing a small amount of coolant into the combustion chamber....when coolant burns it acually cleans the carbon from the cylinders so pull the plugs and mark wich ones are from each cylinder and look to see if one or more are white and free of carbon build up...if there is, there is a good chance coolant is entering the cylinder(s)

Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

have to say that piston rings an exhaust valve seals are in very bad conditions and Im gonna replace them soonest I can, thanks guys!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

i may know EXACTLY whats wrong with your car. a buddy of mine had a JDM SIR II B16A motor in his del sol which he turbocharged and it did EXACTLY what your describing. we tore the motor apart and found this:

every piston was like this one. we took them out and looked at the ring and wiggle them a bit and both chunks fell to the floor. you may want to stop driving and tear it down and see what the problem is. my buddies motor was just fine no cylinder wall were scared no knocking JUST SMOKING out the valve cover, and exhaust a bit. my suggestion is buy some forged rods and pistons while your doin the tear down and rebuild it to factory specs. good luck man sorry to hear about it and sorry to make your day worse by that grusome photo

Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

I got a solution.

Don't go to 7,500 rpm.