Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible Cylinder Wall Warpage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Default Possible Cylinder Wall Warpage?

I recently received a 92 Honda Civic EX from a friend and decided to fix it up.
There were a few prob with it, mainly a broken exhaust valve on my third cylinder. Ok... I phone arund and collect all the parts I need to finish this job when I run into a snag. I was talking to a friend of mine that happens to be into mech a bit and he told me that he'd heard that when you remove the cylinder head cover the cylinder walls warp very slightly. Now in the long run I'll be consuming alot more oil because now my piston rings will have to reshape to the warp in the cylinder. What I would like to know is this accurate?Im not talkingabout improperremoval of the bolts. I know what the proper sequencee is. I just want to know if warpage is an issue with removal, period.

More than a one word answer would be perfered. If this is a prob than Im going to have to go through some more work to true up the walls and new piston rings will have to be installed. A credible answer would save me alot of time.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Possible Cylinder Wall Warpage?

NO