HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Power Door lock (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/power-door-lock-71088/)

bflo99ex 11-06-2008 08:12 PM

ok borrowed a multimeter, so how do I do voltage and resistance tests on keyless control unit?

RonJ 11-06-2008 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bflo99ex (Post 602631)
ok borrowed a multimeter, so how do I do voltage and resistance tests on keyless control unit?

Good.

There are two different types of electrical tests that require a multimeter in the diagrams:

1) Continuity to ground. Switch the multimeter to measure resistance (Ohms). Touch one probe of the multimeter to the indicated terminal/cavity of the 18P connector and the other probe to a convenient metallic portion of the frame under the dash. Continuity reads on the multimeter as little or no resistance (~0 Ohms).

2) Voltage to ground. Switch the multimeter to measure DC voltage (volts). Select a range of 0-15 volts, if applicable. Touch the red probe of the multimeter to the indicated terminal/cavity of the 18P connector and the other probe to a convenient metallic portion of the frame under the dash. The voltage reading should match that indicated in the diagram. Battery voltage = ~12V.

bflo99ex 11-07-2008 05:39 AM

Do I have to disconnect the battery to do these test's?

RonJ 11-07-2008 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bflo99ex (Post 602659)
Do I have to disconnect the battery to do these test's?

No, in fact, the voltage tests require that the battery remain connected. Follow closely the directions in the diagrams.

When the voltage/resistance tests hve been completed, there is a third type of test that involves the use of jumper wires. Let us know if you have questions there as well. In fact, feel free to post any questions that come up.

bflo99ex 11-07-2008 08:59 AM

where do I get jumper wires and how do I use them?

RonJ 11-07-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bflo99ex (Post 602689)
where do I get jumper wires and how do I use them?

Just pieces of wire several inches long with about a 1/4-inch segment of insulation removed to expose bear wire. The exposed segments are then inserted into the indicated terminals of the connector and, in so doing, serve to electrically connect the wires for those two connector terminals.

bflo99ex 11-09-2008 12:48 PM

I hate when I dont know what im doing. I did the test's and jumpers and didnt get any results. Im sure I wasnt doing it right. Got aggrevated and connected it back. Any other suggestins RonJ?

RonJ 11-09-2008 02:34 PM

Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Let's start by making sure you have the multimeter set properly.

Voltage
The multimeter must be set to measure DC voltage in an appropriate range such as 0-15V. Test the multimeter using a good battery (e.g., 1.5V AA or 9V battery). Simultaneously touch the red probe to the + end and the black probe to the - end of the battery. The voltage reading should match that printed on the battery. Otherwise the mutimeter is not set correctly.

Resistance/continuity
The multimeter must be set to measure resistance in unscaled Ohms (X1). Touch the red and black probes together. The reading should jump to a 0 Ohms reading (=continuity).

bflo99ex 11-09-2008 03:12 PM

It didnt seem like the probes fit in holes on connector.

RonJ 11-09-2008 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bflo99ex (Post 603062)
It didnt seem like the probes fit in holes on connector.

In this situation, you improvise. Tightly wind the exposed end of a wire around the metal end of each multimeter probe (see picture 1). Then tightly secure each wire with electrical tape (see picture 2). Now you can use the exposed other end of the attached wires to probe connector terminals or ground to the underdash frame.

Attachment 23864

Attachment 23865