Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pretty bad unknown problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Default Pretty bad unknown problem.

Well, i was driving my pretty good condition honda 1992 civic dx hatchback like any normal person, and all of a sudden a jerk (i guess thats the best way to describe it) and then a really bad high pitched muffled rev'ing noise coming from close to the engine. I lost alot of power in accelleration, but was able to make it home and still able to start the car (for now). Theres no visual problems, no oil in the water, no air coming from anywhere, no smoke. Now when i hit the gas it takes a hestitaion, then gives me this ugly loud muffled rev noise. Theres still exhaust coming out of the muffler (very little, but some, i had the car running for a while also), and no over heating problem. A few days ago i got both my transaxel and oil changed at valvoline, but the oil in the engine is fine, not milky, and still a perfect amount.

So im stumped.

Noise description: It sounds like my muffler is in the front of the car, its a really choppy, high pitched, VVVVV sound. When i take foot off gas, it kind of pops, and you can tell the car wants to shut off, but doesent. The best way to describe it is if i had no muffler on my car, and i was pushing it in 5 rpm's when im only in 2-3.

If anyone can help think of the problem, it would be a great help instead of going to the fagel honda dealer who will probly charge me a fortune. Im in CT, and moving to FL very soon, and only have 500, so a guess on wether i have enough to fix the problem will also be apprcciated.

Thanks to all those who read, and very much thanks to those who respond.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Pretty bad unknown problem.

Check all of your filters, especially your fuel filter. Sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me. If you still can't find the problem I would bring it to a shop immediately. Whatever it is might (probably) get worse and the end result will cost you more money than taking it to the dealership.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:52 AM

I just talked to a mechanic on the phone to see if it was drivible to his shop, he said it was, and its probobly a flex pipe in my exhaust system.

what ya think?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 PM

it sounds like you aren't firing all 4 cylinders to me you may just need to replace the plugs and wires but i would take it to the shop anyways

Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

It appears as thought the problem is in the exhaust. I would say check the Cat first.

edit:
Now that I think about it again I agree with Blackhatch124. Check plugs, wires, and cap/rotor as well.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 PM

thanks guys, id rather check myself then go for diagnosis cus that way if its plugs and wires i can do it myself, ill brb in a while.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 PM

compression test too. do as much as u can urself