Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pulsing problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Unhappy Pulsing problem!!!!

So heres the deal... I have a 98 civic dx D16y7 manual.... I've had the car since june the speedo has never really worked right but ive narrowed the problem down to the cluster through all the other posts on here so thats on order.... Changed the VSS, has a new battery and alternator..... Checked the wires under the intake no problems but wireloomed them anyways... The #15 fuse is fine... But my real problem is my car has this pulse to it... I've looked all over and havent seen anything on this... Ive heard through sources there is a sensor that could be causing this somewhere around the steering collum or in the dash in that area... Any ideas as to what this could be and any suggestions on any other things that could be causing this????? I'm stumped and I'm not a honda-tech but ive been workin on honda since i was 16 and have yet to have this problem come up????

thanks
sean

Old 11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What do you mean by pulse? -- fluctuating idle, lights dimming and brightening, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM

lights dimming and brightening almost like something is grounding out i think its gonna be a long search i think

Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for battery voltage on the "I" wire (not sure which color, maybe yellow/black?) of the alternator with the key on and engine not running. If you don't have voltage, there is a break in the circuit between fuse 15 and the alternator.

It could also be the alternator belt slipping (will usually make lots of noise) or the alternator itself. But this being a '98 model, and problems with the speedometer too, makes the wire harness problem likely.

Edit: Also check for loose battery connections and ground wires, the terminal screws in the underhood fuse box, and the big wire on the alternator. Disconnect the battery before using tools on the big wires because there will be major damage if you short something out.

Last edited by mk378; 11-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL ON? Is the replacement alternator a rebuilt one? Are the battery connections, as well as the battery ground connection to the body frame, clean and tight? Are any fuses blown?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

the alternator is a new on right from honda... and i will check all these tonight and post tomorrow afternoon thanks for the help....

Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM

There was a frayed wire around the alternator that was causing the problem i think because i fixed that and and now everything works well now even the speedo???? so idk what wire it was but ya its working pretty well... thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction...

Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

it almost sounded like the same problem as mine.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM

so ya and now its back to the pulsing of the lights and the speedo not working idk what it could be guess i need to check some more wires .....

Old 11-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether fuse 15 is now blown.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf

Last edited by RonJ; 11-08-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulsing problem!!!!