Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Push clutch, car dies.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
HCF Member
Default Push clutch, car dies.

I looked but could not find a thread with my problems. So now my car idles fine until it is moving. When it is moving and if I press the clutch the car will die like 20% of the time. It is a 98 ex. does not have FITV but I did clean the IACV. Most of the time when I press the clutch rpms dro to normal but other times it dies. the car has a new clutch only. I noticed that this happens more often when the car is at high speeds and if I press the clutch the car dies. I dont think it is the IACV because it idles fine the rest of the time. If I mess with the idle screw then it will idle too high when at a red light. The only cel now is p0420. The clutch feel normal, not too loose or hard. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

That code has something to do with cat converter and/or O2 sensor(s).

Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 AM
HCF Member

Yea but I dont think that is the problem because it has had that code for like 3 months. the car had a yunkyard motor put in like 2 weeks ago. I think it has something to do with the clutch, but since I have never had a manualk before I have no experience with it. Im still trying to figure it out.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

Can you rev-up the engine with the car standing still? Clutch in and/or out???

Engines can idle fine with partial blockage in the exhaust system but will have hard time in higher RPM. Since there is the code relates to exhaust system, I would still check the exhaust system.

Since the engine was swapped recently, your mechanic may have dropped something in the exhaust pipe, too.

Otherwise, I have no idea at the moment. What do I know? I'm just a part time shade tree auto mechanic.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

yea, the car idles fine with clutch in and out. I just replaced o2 sensor but it is still the same. Its weird. Whats the deal...This is my first Honda and its been nothing but problems, so far, in the last 2 months its cost me 1200.00.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

Owning a 12-year-old car and not knowing how it was taken care of before you got it will result in having to spend money.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Slammed98silvercoupe
yea, the car idles fine with clutch in and out. I just replaced o2 sensor but it is still the same. Its weird. Whats the deal...This is my first Honda and its been nothing but problems, so far, in the last 2 months its cost me 1200.00.
Sorry to hear that. If you paid other people to do the work, most of $1200 went into his pocket, not to your car. Hondas are pretty reliable cars in original form. The 90 Civic I bought for $500 lasted mostly trouble free 4 years until some one decided to rear-end me on a highway while I was doing 60 mph.

Does it rev-up high with no problem?

There are people on this board who has "years and years of experience" working on cars. I hope they can shed the light better than I can.

Please don't hate your Honda. Your Honda is acting up because of whoever worked on it, I am sure.

Last edited by maachan513; 11-25-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 PM

P0420 is an issue with your three way Catalytic converter or the secondary O2 sensor..Since the issue was their before the engine swap the problem with the exhaust was there before the change. the reading at the second O2 sensor is close to the first O2 sensor so the Catalytic converter is not helping with the emission reduction or the secondary O2 sensor is faulty. Removal of the Cat for a straight through pipe could cause this code.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM

P0137 P0138 and P0141 all point to issues with the secondary O2 sensor. I would suspect it is reading OK and the root issue is with the Catalytic Converter P0420. Can it cause the stalling with the clutch in? I do not know

Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

I really dont hate it, just a little fed up with all of the issues. yea it revs up fine, no problems. all of yesterday I drove the car for about 200 miles and no stalling issues, not even close to stalling, so thats good. And Im sure the reason why the car has issues now is because of the way it was treated before, on the road and on the garage. For example, something that pissed me off today, I get under the car to change oil and 3 cotter pins were missing on each side of the front suspension. I mean that is just stupid and unsafe. Why were they not replaced by last dummy that took suspension apart. I have a 4 year old and would have for the suspension to fall apart. I will say its a cool little car so I hope to get all the little bugs out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Push clutch, car dies.