Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

quick iacv question 96 civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 AM
kma
HCF Member
Default quick iacv question 96 civic

just removed my iacv to clean few min ago (idle problems). There's FOIL in the 2 grooves, can i remove those?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: quick iacv question 96 civic

Does it look like someone may have stuffed foil in the IACV port to block air flow? Can you post a photo?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 AM
kma
HCF Member

yup looks like it. here it is

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The photo is very out of focus, but I think I see a ball of foil in the IACV port. Definitely remove.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
kma
HCF Member

tight fit, that's the best i could do sorry. Took it out & car idled even higher & could hear the air blow HARD. Not to mention car ran hot EXTREMELY quick. I think foil was there to bring idle down. Know anyone with one of em? Need to change.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you try cleaning the IACV (see forum DIY)?

Is the CEL ON?

If you engine is overheating, it is a problem separate from the IACV. Check the coolant level in both the reservoir and radiator.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
kma
HCF Member

that's actually what i took it out for. As far as the overheating it was fine before removing the foil. A mechanic on the road said cuz the idle valve isnt functioning how it should it's causing my engine to work harder. Maybe cuz there's not enough oil in the engine it's overheating? The oil light came on the other day and yes, the cel light has been on a few months now but i know that's my lower o2 sensor. had the problem with my upper one

Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I disagree with your mechanic. The high idle should not cause engine overheating. Top off the oil level and then check the coolant level as I mentioned. Is the radiator fan running when the engine is hot?

Why is the engine oil low?

Retrieve the CEL trouble code(s) (see link in my signature) as a new one may have been thrown. The problem with not fixing the O2 sensor problem is that you don't know if a new problem has arisen without pulling codes from the ECU Why is the engine oil low? occasionally.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
kma
HCF Member

I suspect there's an oil leak but don't see any huge signs of it. Last time I got to service the car was in October which is long overdue. Strangely the overheating has stopped since I a piece of sponge went somewhere in there. I think the throttle body since the iacv port's too small and I think that pushes air not pull correct? Anyway i don't know much about how oil in an engine works but i definitely know it needs oil since the light came on + it overheated that day after the light and so I added 1 quart. But I'm gonna leave the car parked other than to take & pick up my g/f from work which isn't too far but it's HOT here til I get to change the oil and filter.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

oil keeps the engine parts lubricated, thus reducing friction and heat. fix your oil problem and see if your engine stops overheating.

Quick Reply: quick iacv question 96 civic