Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Real nasty thing - hesitation and REV madness

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Default Real nasty thing - hesitation and REV madness

Dear friends,

i have a 93EXcivic (japanese importation) and a lot of problems. It was smoking a lot under initial acceleration and I fix it with new parts and head things....

That was the beggining of a headache. Now, the motor had a nasty noise (vibration, metal sound) after 2K RPM and after warming up it hesitates to accel. it is very strange because the motor seems to lose power until 4K RPM, and suddenly it accelerates as hell!!! And burn oil a lot. Looking back i note that is a gray smoke. As far as i know, there is a non-burned gas in it...

Does anyone know how to START to fix it? Is there a possibility that the jerk man put or adjusted in the wrong way the things?

Please, help me...

Alex

Old 01-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Default RE: Real nasty thing - hesitation and REV madness

Ya know, I've seen this kind of thing before, but I don't think it'll be the same problem. On the one I dealt with, the guy had about 8 quarts of oil in his engine, so if you haven't checked the oil, do it. Other possibilites are a spun bearing (not very likely, but possible), dumping injectors/air blockage (basically, running way too rich), or the timing being really forked up.

The more info you give me, the more I can help you.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 AM

Dear friend,

Accept my gratitute for your reply. You may not know but at this moment i'm writting from Brazil, so I will try to find out what exactly is the spun bearing... if you could help, i will be very glad...

So, oil... Nope.. Timing belt... maybe, bacause the mechanic put the head away and i am not pretty sure that he knew what he was doing, unfortunately it was MY fault to give him this responsability. i feel that it is possible to have a rich mixture, but I don't know how to check it and the timing, if you could help, it will be great. If i cannot fix it, i must know what is the problem to address it to a good mechanic.

VEry strange, this morning i put the ECU fuse back (i reset it) and waited 5 minutes, when in idle, the motor was burning oil at 1,5K RPM?!?!?!?!? The motor had a noise, strange noise before fixing the head, and after the fixing, we found a worn (i don't know exactly in english, put seems like a shell under that piece connected to the pistons) piece that we changed, but the noise is still there, when we accelerate, it seems something knocking...

i am an enginner and i understand something about motors, but i am learning the words in english now..sorry for it....

So, is it possible for you to explain how to check the things you've mentioned?

kindest rgds,

Alex

Old 01-27-2005, 08:20 AM

My motor smoked too right before it blew 2 holes in the motor, one frontside the rearside and i needed a new motor lol

Old 01-27-2005, 07:33 PM

A spun bearing is a fairly rare problem, and generally occurs in motors that have been driven hard. Basically, each connecting rod/cap has two bearings at the bottom where it connects to the crankshaft. If they get worn down enough, it is possible for them to spin inside the rod/cap assembly, which leads to further wear. Eventually, one or both of them will pop out, and the engine will develop a knock (or, if one just freezes, it's all over...). After that, it's not gonna be very long before you throw a rod.

You can accurately check the timing position fairly simply. All you have to do is remove the timing covers, set the crank to top dead center, and make sure the cam mark is also at TDC. For the crank, there are marks on both the pulley and somewhere on the block or trim, and the cam gear should have two small holes in it which are supposed to be aligned flat with the top of the head (when at TDC).

After reading your post, it seems likely that you have already popped a bearing and developed a knock, so to avoid the catastrophic self-destruction of your engine, it is important to have the main bearings replaced ASAP (if this is indeed the problem). From what I gathered, it sounds like you found a dislocated bearing in the oil pan... please correct me if I'm wrong. You may also want to check the piston rings.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:09 AM

8 quarts? it wasnt a civic was it?

Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 AM

Ok,

Dear friend,

That was exactly what i changed at the j*** mechanic, these parts.. and no one was free in the oil, there were two of them that were broken apart at half, but they didn't go outside the place...

I will check the timing, because it is really strange, and i moved the distributor back and for.. the behaviour became better, a little... i will check the timing..

just a thing.. why, why, when the motor is cold or warming up, the things seems better, more power... when it comes to a normal temp.. bad bad bad...

If the mechanic fixed the head.. i am very concerned about something wrong he might have done in the head assembling... what could be possible? yesterday he told me that he changed the gasket, polished the valves, changed the (in portuguese we call it : the base, house of the valves...) ahhh he changed the water pump...it was broken...

Another symptom that i remember: the idle rpm is around 650, and despite the changes i try to make in the adjustment , it doesn't accelerate.

I am very happy to receive your comments but concerned about disturbing, sorry for that....

Regards for you all..

Alex

Old 01-28-2005, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: blackeyes

8 quarts? it wasnt a civic was it?
It was a 1G Integra LS (D16A1).

Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 AM

my engine started to smoke real bad in my corolla and about 3 weeks later on a road trip cross crounty the engine through a rod....long story short i come to find out that the original engine in the car was gone adn i had a rebuilt engine and the rebuilt engine was ragged on majorly before i got it so it blew up...its all good cause now i have my 04 civic

Old 02-04-2005, 05:49 AM

My friends,

That is really annoying... I only had to change the head gasket and some other minor parts and suddenly the s*** started to knock, burn oil and so...

I am now thinking to rebuild the engine and put a turbo, make some tunning. Does anyone know if i am intended to put some specific rod, piston or anything else to support a small turbo? COuld you help me to find some parts in US ? Here in Brazil is very difficult to find parts of old VTECs... <rs>.... ; )

Could be used ones...

Thanks you all for replying...

ALex

Quick Reply: Real nasty thing - hesitation and REV madness