Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Coils Heavier Duty!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
HCF Member
Default Rear Coils Heavier Duty!

2000 Honda Civic DX Automatic!

What Honda 4 door or Van is interchangeable with my make and model, spring-coil wise?
I NEED to beaf my rear end up as much as possible by replacing my rear coils from a heavier duty vehicle!
Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM

None that I know of.

The only thing I can think of would be to buy a nice set of coilovers and keep the settings at stock height. Usually, those springs are stiffer.

Will you be hauling some heavy items?? Wondering what the reason for wanting stiffer springs etc in the back.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

My Honda coils are so bad that I can't even haul 2 people in the back seat with out bottoming out! I know the car is old and I put (2) 100lb bags of cement in the trunk once in a while. I also live and drive on a bad dirt road.
The other thing i was considering was adding a propane carburetor with tank in the trunk to where I can remove! I am researching this and really want to have the option to run on propane or back to gas when ever possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ended up buying Godspeed coil over sleeve kit front and back advertised weight was NOT 35lbs, only 17lbs on the box. But only replacing the rear at this time!

Where do the metal rings go? There are 4 very skinny metal rings! Which do NOT fit over the sleeve, only on the bottom end!

I contacted the company and they said the coils are all the same.
I ended up putting those metal rings at the bottom.
I cut the bump stop down to 1 inch.
Put the thickest o-ring over the strut with Rubber tape over that wrapping it around until it was tight enough to slide the sleeve over using vasoline.
When putting these back together, you have to leave those caps off they send you in order to fit the original tops back on. Why...Because it won't fit, screw too short on strut, at least mine.
Now I just have to wait for my warranty replacement Koni's which I am upgrading to Yellow from Orange for heavier duty! Expensive, $116 ea.
And yes you need spring compressor to take off but not put on cause the they are shorter.(Mine were so weak that I didn't even use a spring compressor, only pointed it towards the ground, small pop)
So far with my old struts, very little gas pressure the ride is much stiffer but my vehicle stays up when putting things in the back. A little bouncy until I put in the new struts"I HOPE".

Last edited by aztecaa; 08-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Well, maybe you just need new struts/shocks?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

I just installed my Yellow Koni Heavy Duty Struts with new coil overs and sleeves. I had to move the perch to the top one since I didn't want the coil loose.
All I can say is it stiff and sturdy. Great for the dirt roads and pot holes around here. It is kind of high in the back but almost looks like I have air suspension lift. I need to do the front ones and kick up the front end so it is not so low. I will take some pics of the car after I wash it. Feels like a truck ride in the back but corners great. I guess I got that off road look going on here.Just need a rack on the top and there you go.
Here are the pics of the yellow Koni with coil overs before putting them on. I can't wait to put a load in the rear to see how it drives and sits.
Name:  VqNny.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by aztecaa; 10-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM
HCF Member
Thumbs up Update on Ride suspension! and ?

I solved the load issue and what a difference good and bad. The good: I can put a load of anything heavy and the ride stays up nicely and drives pretty good, no more bottoming out and can put people in the back with no issues. Corners really well.
The Bad: Very bouncy ride on any dips or bumps. Stiff. Feel like I may loose a kidney if i hit a dip or bump too fast. Have to slow down for bumps or dips.
Tweaking it: Since i have Heavy Duty Koni YELLOW struts that have 3 adjustment perch levels. I set it to the lowest level which has softened the ride lots. I have it adjusted on top to the softest ride since the beginning.
I have not changed the front coils yet. I do not know if that will help my ride to be even more stiffer and hard.
Question, should I just leave it alone with original coils and Koni ORANGE in the front. Or do you think it needs to have the same coil overs in front as the rear for balance issue????Will it make the car be less bouncy in the rear if the front is stiffer???? Not sure the formula here.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM

I love my konis yellows. I would suggest those over oranges