Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Tire wear bad struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Rear Tire wear bad struts?

i have a 98 civic coupe dx- 130k miles

my past 3 or so sets of tires have all wore bad on the inner part of the rear tires. I had alignmnet done few years ago and i'm sure its time for a new one, but i don't think thats the sole problem. I can stand back behind my car and look the rear tires and see that they bottom of the tires kick out some. Do i have bad shocks/ struts? also if i'm going down the road the car has a noticable sway sometimes. If i steer towards the right side of the road( past the line where most roads dip down a little for water run off i can feel the car sway alot.

recently i had 3 adults in the back of my car and it swayed very bad. I won't be doing this again. I got out while they were in car and the back of car was sagging and looked bottomed out bad.

Should i get new shocks and alimnent and go from there? anything else it cuould be?

thanks for your help

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Can you push on the back corners of the car and have the car bounce? Does the car continue to bounce after you stop? The car should bounce once and then stop right away if the struts are good.

I was able to almost lift the back of the car off the ground it was so bouncy on my Integra when I first got it

Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like the bushings are bad. Bad struts will cause a lot of bouncing but won't change the alignment of the wheels.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
HCF Member
Default reply

I pushed on each corner and the car will push down and then come right back up. It really doesn't bounce unless i push up and down on it. i can pull car up some and push down.

I had 3 people in my car, weighing a total of 500 pounds and the car was bottoming out bad. Is that normal?

If the struts or shocks aren't bad, what could cause the rear tire wear on the inside of the tires?

where are the bushings and how can i tell if there bad?

thanks again for the help

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
HCF Member
Default pic

pic of tires

Attached Thumbnails Rear Tire wear bad struts?-2012-12-19_13-50-11_272.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Can someone offer help here? I push down on my trunk and the car will bounce right back up. Something isn't right, b/c the back tires wear bad on inside. I can stand back and see how the tires kick out slightly.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Bouncing right back up is one thing, but does the car continue to bounce without you pushing on it afterwards? It should just come straight up and basically stop.

I cannot think of any other explaination as to why you would be rubbing when you have a full car except for struts.

Wear on the inside of the tire is associated with camber. When is the last time you had an alignment? When is the last time a mechanic did work to the rear suspension and what was done?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
HCF Member
Default reply

It doesnt bounce. I push down and it comes right back up.

No suspension work has been done too it.

The back end feels squirly, especially if i have rear passengers.

I had 2 people weighing 330 lbs total in back, and 1 person in front- car looked bottomed out

Not sure if all this ties in with tire wear or not

Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

could this be from bad trailing arm bushings?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Sounds like you probably have some bad bushings. I'd start looking at the trailing arm bushings first. When they wear, crack, tear, they can cause some serious control issues with the car. Check all the other bushings while you're at it. Bad bushings, esp a trailing arm bushing, can throw your alignment off causing the instability issues as well as the tire wear.

Quick Reply: Rear Tire wear bad struts?