Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

recommended pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Default recommended pads?

hey everyone... first post after a few searches....

i'm sure i am one of the first few to need newpads on my 2007 civic LXbut it was a long and hard 26k miles in these last 10 months haha... nyc driving too...

anyway, i was wondering what the general public here recommends as a good replacement to the OE pad.

I am not looking for a racing pad, but just something that has more to offer than the factory parts (maybe even at a better price than what the dealer wants, but not too concerned about that)

i am only replacing the fronts and not going to tackle the rear drums yet - but i think they are fine...

off to a great start already editing my first post haha

i also wanted to ask are they the same exact pads as used on all the previous year civics from 2000 or so. i saw several sites showing no parts for 2007 but some for the 2006 (at least those i would assume are the same)

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Default RE: recommended pads?

Raybestos number is a PGD465AC, that is a ceramic pad that fits 99-07 Civic. I sell them for $40 a set. I wouldn't put anything but a ceramic pad on this car.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM

why would you say nothing but ceramic? just curious

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Ceramic pads last longer, give you better braking power than semi-metallic, they create less brake noise and less brake dust.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Ceramic pads are also stock on civics. The ceramic material can disapate more heat than semi-metallic and organic makes so using anything less than stock would have a good change of warping the rotorswith heavy braking.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

I put Hawk pads on mine. They have been working great so far.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Had an Accord that had to have Honda pads. Tried NAPA and Bendix pads (the best I could get) both squealed or left a lot of dust. Never had any problems with Honda pads on the Accord or the Pilot. The Accord pads were cheap (under $60) for the fronts like 10 years ago. I don't remember doing the rears. I must have though, the car had 160k when I sold it. The Pilot is another issue. Front and rear pads cost $180. Changed those last month. The rears were worn more that the fronts.

Hard to believe you went through pads in 26k. The Accord and Pilot both went over 60k on the original pads, and that is with my lead foot hard braking wife at the wheel. We live in the Chicago area, so the driving should be similar. Lots and lots of traffic.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 AM
HCF Member

Hawk ceramics and slotted rotors. Don't bother with drilled. Make sure to lube the slide-pins and slide-channels properly.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:38 AM

haha not so hard i guess its me combined with nyc....i often have 5 people in the car too so i doubt that helps either

every car ive had (2001 maxima, 2004 maxima) needed pads at around this same mileage.... the second set ofpads alwaysseemed to last longer though

Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 AM

so guess what....

after trying pep boys, autozone and 3 strauss stores i finally found them at a 4th R&S strauss here... the bendix CQ ceramic part D787 which is what shows inthier computer is correct for my car.

but of course when i have the wheel off and the pads in my hand, they dont fit they are too big.... did anyone else try these pads and have the same problem??? or is it possible they have the wrong pads in the box??

im extremely pissed now that i spend the time to search the whole neighborhood for pads and jack up the car and take the caliper off only to find they dont fit

Quick Reply: recommended pads?